Have you ever had an 8 week old pullet lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zantroo, Jun 26, 2010.

1. zantroo

zantroo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Ozark, Missouri
    I collected eggs the other day and found an egg that looks to me like a new layer has kicked in:

[​IMG]

My main flock will be a year old in July and Aug so unless something weird is happening to one of them, I'm rulling them out as candidates for the source. The candidates for a new layer come from my newest chicks which are 8 weeks old, and are blended in with the main flock. They are welsummer, black marans, and my hybrids (which are what looks to me to be mostly langshan-daddy babies with ba, ee, favorelle, cw, and rir or nhr moms. There is a possibility that a cw was a father but almost all my hybrids have feathered shanks).

--Do some breeds lay younger than typical? (Wellsummer or Black Marans specifically)
    --I read that some people hybridize for younger layers - indicating a 'purposeful choosing of moms'. I know my one langshan pullet was the last to begin laying - probably at 7-8 months, and I hear that is normal for the breed. This means that my hybrids should be slower to lay due to langshan dad dna, doesn't it?
    --If it's not dna that began the early laying, mightn't it be caused by being surrounded by productive hens?

For what it's worth:
    My Flock History:

The 'first flock' was purchased as day olds from Estes July 8th 2009, consists of buff orps, rir, nhr, ee, ba, and br. Our 'second flock' of 5 day old ba was purchased from Estes on Aug 12 and the very next weds our 'third flock' arrived from Ideal as day olds on Aug 19th and consists of black langshan, cw, glw, dominique, and salmon favorelle. I managed to blend them all together when the youngest were about a week old. I have a note from Nov 25 stating that "many hens from the first flock are getting nice red wattles and a few are making some weird sounds". I don't know who did it, but we got our first egg on Dec 12 2009 so they started laying at 5 months. Our egg count jumped in Jan so the pullets from the second/third purchase kicked in at 5 months also. This year we purchased welsummers and black marans (not copper black) from Estes on April 7th, timing the purchase to coincide with the expected hatching of a hodgepodge of eggs fathered by our langshan and cw roos and brooded and mothered by our cw and bo.

2. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    Once in a while one of my "mature" hens will lay a small egg like that. One day, my BR hen laid a normal size egg, and right next to it, a tiny egg the size of a quail egg. I know it was her, because she's the only brown egg layer in that coop. The little one turned out to be a "fart" egg- nothing but egg white. I don't think it's possible for an 8 week old to lay- but who knows!

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I second, what jhmoore said. Occasionally (not often) I'll get a really small egg from my large egg layer.

4. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    same here - I got a smaller one myself this week, I've not cracked it yet, but I expect it doesn't have a yolk inside.

5. zantroo

zantroo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Ozark, Missouri
    Thank all 3 of you. So far no more little eggs. Haven't cracked it open yet but expect to find the white only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by