Have you ever had ex-battery hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RedIII, Feb 3, 2013.

1. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Hey everyone in chicken land! [​IMG]

I am wondering who here has ever had or has ex-battery chickens? If you have, did you mix them with chickens that you already owned? And if so, did this mixing cause any health problems for the birds you already had?

I am asking because I really have wanted to get some ex-batteries this year to give them a better life. However, I just had it pointed out to me that many of these hens are carriers of viruses from the vaccines they're given, which means that they could make the chickens I already have sick. This is a concern for me, as I don't want to bring home some sickness that would threaten the health of my flock - especially since I have some breeding stock. But, this also makes me really upset, because it's not an ex-battery hen's fault that she's been exposed to all of these viruses.

Thoughts, comments, advice?

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    I have and have had ex batts, I have 2 that are 7 years old! apart from my first ones teh rest were mixed with other hens and caused no health problems, you should get some, its such a rewarding experience!! if you ever need any advice when you get them feel free to PM me :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by