have you ever had some hens lay.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TK Poultry, Sep 11, 2009.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    have you ever had some hens lay in the morning and then have one straggler tat decided she wanted to lay an egg at like 8pm??? i was just wondering b/c all my hens lay in early morning and then i have one tat just decided hey i want to be different

2. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Mine lay all day long, some here, some there... I go to the coop alot to collect eggs [​IMG]

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have never gotten an egg past 4pm. That said, only 5 of my 13 hens are laying (that I know of).

4. YakLady

YakLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    Mine lay at different times, too. I have a Buff Orpington (sp?) that lays a huge egg every day by 7:30 am. Then, by noon, I usually have five more. Almost every day, I will find another one at around 5:00 pm. Guess that's one thing that makes them all so unique and cool-they're all different.

5. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    ya i have about three by noon then i have a couple more by 5 then i have one or two stragglers by 8

6. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I sometimes open up the coop in the morning before the hens are done roosting and I have an egg on the floor. They actually will just let it drop from the roost overnight and not go to the boxes.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Yep, my girls do the same thing! I always thought that chickens would lay only in the daylight hours? [​IMG] Guess I was wrong!

8. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i thought they only laid in early morning to early afternoon then i had one decide she was going to lay at like 8pm and i have no idea if any lay any over night b/c they are there in the AM when i go out there!!! but some are cold so i guess i do have one that lays at night maybe idk im just glad they decided to lay after a long molt!!!

9. 1birdlady

1birdlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    As I have understood it, chickens are on a 26-28 hour schedule, so while they may do an egg every day, they will gradually lay later and later.........and perhaps miss a day here and there.

Those more experienced here, please advise.

Thanks! [​IMG]

10. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i havnt heard that i no my NHR hen likes to lay every other day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by