Have you ever had this happen?? Such a dumb accident :-/

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 19hhbelgian, Dec 29, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    First, I hope this is the correct topic area... I had gotten a phoenix rooster somewhere around 3 months ago. He never caused any trouble what so ever, and minded his own business. Yesterday when I went to let the chickens out yesterday, he didn't come out, so I went in to look around. He was laying in a heap right next to the wall, close to the door [​IMG] I picked him up and looked him over, and all I could tell was that it looked like he just flew straight into the wall and broke his neck! [​IMG] I've never had this happen, not even a slight hit to the wall. It seems so dumb. I really liked the goofball rooster too [​IMG] He was gorgeous, a nice big size (same as my australorp hens), and just as nice as could be to my little hens [​IMG] My bantam cochin girls flocked to him like nothing I've ever seen, it was so cute!

Here's his pic... He's standing with one of his girls [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    AWWW that's sad!! [​IMG] Poor little roo!!

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Maybe something caused him to panic during the night?

4. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    I have had mine fall from the roost and try to catch themselves with their beaks or chins, but never had one die. Maybe thats what happened. Sorry, its always hard to lose one.

5. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Sadly, every living thing dies at some time. That's not about to change. Sorry about your loss.

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Yes I've had something similar happen; one of my hens fell from her roost and her head got stuck between the nest box and the wall and snapped her neck. There is no longer a gap there.

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    How sad... I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. [​IMG] He was a beautiful roo. Sudden losses are the saddest ones, in my opinion.

8. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I'm so sorry. He was a lovely bird.

9. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    That's never happened to one of my birds, but I've heard of it. More than once.

I'm really sorry.

10. HollyKMS

HollyKMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    I'm so sorry to hear. That's so sad. It's terrible to walk outside and just find one gone like that. He was absolute beautiful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by