Have you ever hatched just one peep?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dread Pirate Roberts, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    We recently had just one Ameraucana peep hatch and that little thing must have imprinted on my girlfriend and/or me because it hated being left alone and just screamed for like the first three days. The only thing that would shut it up was to hold it, then it would instantly fall asleep.

Is this a typical experience when only one peep hatches? I sure hope this thing doesn't turn into a rooster.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] Your little baby has "imprinted" on you which means SHE - [​IMG] - thinks you're her mother. Chickens do not like to be alone as you have found out. See if you can't somehow get hold of another baby chick to keep it company. In the meantime, you can see if a clean feather duster will help her calm down. As far as being a rooster, I have found they can be extremely entertaining and fun to own. Where do you live? Maybe somebody will have babies near you and, also, look in the "buy-sell-trade-give away" forum. Best of luck to you and [​IMG]

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    WARNING!!! Sentiments may cause you to order chicks from the hatchery! [​IMG] Ok, I mmmmmay have done this in the past. That is why we incubate in 2 incubators now![​IMG]

4. georgiachick

georgiachick New Egg

Feb 1, 2009
    Near Atlanta
    I had that happen once. I felt my lone chick really needed some buddies so I went to the local feed store and bought two chicks. Never bought any chicks from the feed store before but they turned out great (RIR and Dominque).

Good Luck!

5. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Well the screaming stopped after the first three days or so. I tried to put it in with some newly-hatched BC Marans when it was 3 days old, but they just kicked its ass constantly, even dragged it around by a toe. I just put them back together today and all seems okay. The Ameraucana peep is like 9 days old and the BC Marans are 6 and they're getting along nicely.

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Glad to hear it. Sweet little girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by