Have you ever hatched muscovy eggs under a chicken?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PunkinPeep, Aug 3, 2010.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have located someone who will share her muscovy egg with me, and i DO have an incubator, but i would rather hatch them under a broody hen if possible so that they will become part of the flock more quickly.

Have you done it?

2. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    I have hatched runner ducks under my broody chicken and she is the best duck mum ever! chicken eggs only take 21 days to hatch and mallard-derived ducks (except calls I believe) take average of 28 days. My chicken coped fine with the extra burden. Since muscovies take 35 days, it might be a huge extra effort for the chicken, but so long as you ensure she gets enough food and water, she may just cope fine. I made sure my hen got off the nest twice a day for exercise and refreshment so her condition did not deteriorate too much, and gave her lots of high calorie treats like dried mealworms. she did lose a bit of weight though and I am still feeding her up now and they are a few weeks old. she also went straight into a moult afterwards. I say give it a try with a trusted broody and just give her extra TLC and treats all the way through. If she is a good mum she will keep sitting until they hatch.

Perhaps someone else will chip in some advice who has successfully hatched muscovies under a chicken. I hope so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by