Have you ever hatched (with a hen) indoors?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babsh, Apr 7, 2009.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm thinking of bringing our broody hen indoors to hatch her eggs. Or would this be so foreign and disturbing to her that she might not sit?

Barb

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I tried that this winter with a silkie...she was more than willing to sit indoors...but that first broody poop odor went through the whole house so fast a furiously that I fast and furiously put her back out in the coop [​IMG]

3. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    [​IMG]

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I'v tried this too I brought my broody in when the big ice storm hit kentucky. WOW the smell of her poo about did us in... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  5. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG] LoL I see someone went to the movies this weekend?? [​IMG]

6. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    haha fast and furiuos...that is a movie...didn't think of that LOL!

7. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:So did you put her back outside?

barb

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I don't see it being a problem for the hen, if anything a calm and quiet place with no environmental factors may make the entire process that much easier.

And to address the issue of the smelly poo... we feed our birds DE (diatemacous earth) that kills bad bacteria inside the animals turning what once was disgusting droppings into (somewhat) dryer and relatively odor-free chicken poops. It's worked magic for the coop outside, so who says it won't do the same for your temporary indoor brooder?

The only issue presented with DE is that it's a type of flour. Which means it may look like a snowstorm hit whatever room the hen is in if she decides to move the stuff around a lot. Just mix it into her food or even some dissolved into her water. That should do the trick.

Happy Hatching!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
  9. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I allowed my Silkie to do this. Mind you, her nest box is a rubbermaid container so it was easy to pick it up and bring it inside so she was still in her favorite box.

The first couple of poops were nasty, but we quickly learned that if we picked her up in the morning and took her outside, she would walk around and poop--and walah no chicken poop smell in the house.

It was like walking the dog. My husband thought it was hysterical that I took the chicken outside to poop and she would do it!

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:So did you put her back outside?

barb

No, we bared it for her sake. I just didnt feel right putting her outside with no where safe. So We bared it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by