Have you ever hypnotized your chicken?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by barred-rocks-rock, Nov 22, 2009.

1. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    I want to try this so bad.

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    I am so watching this, I can only hypnotise one chicken...I turn her upside down and she completely relaxes...

3. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    when you hypnotise her does she run round clucking like a chicken? [​IMG]

4. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    I have. Kinda funny.

5. Flippacase

Flippacase Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    how do you hipnotize a chicken?
    just wondering?

6. OH HELL YES. look on you tube and the like and you will be videos of silly people hypnotizing their chickens.

BTW, do not let on that you have nothing better to do. [​IMG]

7. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Quote:Some you just flip upside down - - they stretch out their legs and bring up their heads and freeze...but there are many other ways.

8. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    That's not how I do it.
    No, seriously!
    My dad taught me how to hypnotize chickens when we had a flock of banties when I was a kid. I haven't tried it on my current birds, but I still remember how. It will only work on a tame chicken- even if it doesn't LIKE to be held, it has to know you are not going to hurt it. So here's my set of instructions:
    1. catch chicken
    2. kneel on the ground holding the chicken between your knees while both of you face the same direction OR have some one else hold the chicken. Either way the important thing is that the bird is settled on the ground so that when it goes limp it won't fall over and before it goes under it can't squirm too much. Also, if you want it to STAY that way long enough to back away and laugh about it a bit, you need to pick a place where nothing will interrupt its line of sight- including your shadow.
    3. pin the chicken's head down so its neck is stretched out and its beak touches the ground (again, you don't want its posture to change when it goes under)
    4. tap rhythmically on the ground about 5" in front of it's beak. It slowly will relax and blink less frequently.
    5. when it shows signs of being hypnotized, slowly, gently relax your hold first on its head, then on its body. If at any point it starts to wake up, tighten your grip back up and continue tapping.
    6. if you have relaxed your hold and it isn't moving, slow the tapping and then stop altogether.
    7. at this point, you can get up and walk away. As long as nothing moves in front of it or makes a sudden and startling sound, it should stay for a while.

My record is 3 chickens in a row (the fourth FAKED and woke the other three when I let him up) but none of mine stayed more than 2-3 minutes.
    And yes, I was very bored and had no life. We lived in the middle of nowhere and the chickens and the dog were the only interesting things around.

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I should try this! As a non practicing hypnotherapist I should know this! But wait a minute, chickens aren't listening to what you say/going along with your suggestions, they are just re flexing? Time to do a little experimenting.................[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by