Have you ever kept chickens illegally?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Skitz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I don't want you to answer if you currently are because I don't want you to get caught lol I mean, if you DO still have them illegally...just lie to me a little and say that you got rid of them so that nobody knows you still have them ;)
    Anyway, the reason I'm asking this is because I got rid of my chickens about two years ago and I miss them A LOT! A new ordinance just passed in my city that we're not allowed to keep poultry and other animals within city limits UNLESS you have 1/2 acre, then you can only keep four. My house is off by only like 100ft to being 1/2 acre :( So I'm a bit disappointed because I want at least 4 chickens so bad! So I was wondering...have any of you kept chickens 'illegally'? did you ever get caught or did you get rid of them because you were moving, or another reason? I'm thinking in getting them because my house is surrounded by corrugated steel sheets so nobody can actually see through my backyard unless you use a ladder..but why would you do that? lol I wanted to have a roo as well but I'm pretty sure that would give it away so maybe I would have to opt out on that...unless I can make him to not crow which might be impossible lol

2. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    I've never had them illegally but I definatly wouldn't get a roo if you aren't "suppose" to have them. A couple hens shouldn't be to bad though I wouldn't think.

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I know right. This sucks lol I guess I'm just gonna have to deal with the idea of not having chickens! Would't really feel comfortable owning them and then keeping an eye on animal control when they pass lol..thanks for the reply!

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Sure did. From 4/8 to 8/9 I kept a few chickens illegally in Youngstown Ohio. I also had Muscovy ducks that hatched 29 ducklings. All the neighbors knew. THey didn't say anything though, because at the time my husband was in the Army. Since we move out of Army housing TODAY I can also say that I had a spare (third) dog the whole time we lived here. No freaking way I give any of my pets up.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You could always keep a trio of seramas in a large rabbit or guinea pig cage. You can have them outside in a tractor during the day , in a area not seen from the street and bring them in at night.

6. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I think I'm gonna give it a shot lol I'm gonna get 6 chicks (5 hens, 1 roo) and I'll see how it goes in 6 months lol hopefully no one complains! and I hope the roo doesn't crow as much! If I end up with bad luck, I guess I'll be rehoming them but I want to give it a shot first ;) thanks for your replies!

7. blythspirit

blythspirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Beautiful PNW
    I live just inside of town limits, to call this a city is silly..anyway we are allowed to keep 3 fowl..either ducks, chickens or other game birds and for every 1000 feet of property we are allowed to have another bird. I have 4 hens and I know I could push it and have a few more since I live on a double lot. No roosters allowed period. Well my neighbors got a roo..and animal control showed up because some on complained and they had to get rid of it. Now that neighbor is subject to the animal control coming by at any time to inspect their property due to a prior complaint with merit...If I were to try something illegal I would not get a roo...just try the hens and see if that works and only get 4 if that is all you're allowed. If they inspect you do to a complaint you are 'just outside' the legal code..not a complete violation and they may let you skate. Get 6 which is an illegal number in your case AND a roo which is illegal in any case and you're asking to have them make you get rid of all your birds. Just my opinion..

8. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Yes lol. My residential neighborhood is supposed to allow 12 chickens and rabbits total, not 12 of each. I've got over 40 birds and 5 rabbits, 3 of them with kits and the 4th doe due March 10th.
    Luckily for me I live in the desert ghetto, extremely small town, small community, with neighboring desert towns that are somewhat similar. It depends what your neighbors are like, if they like you or well, tolerate you, you can have what you please ;-)
    It's all good here. I don't really plan on moving either.. the desert is my home and having a horde of critters is the life. My SO likes my chickens and my rabbits so it's even better. When he's over he gets to learn about animal husbandry and when I'm with him I get to learn about trucks/cars and off-roading stuff. My part of the county seems to get less attention so that's why keeping chickens is easy-peasy. In Bakersfield or Tehachapi or Rosamond it'd be a lot different.. I couldn't get away with it in those places!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by