Have you ever lost a rooster that died protecting his flock?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by GimmeCake, Aug 9, 2013.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Just wanting to know how many people had an experience like this :D

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I haven't personally but have read a lot of stories on BYC about a valiant rooster dying while "taking one for the flock." Type in "lost my rooster" and I'll bet you'll stumble across a tale or two.

3. Gelotri

Gelotri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    No, but I am about to...if he keeps trying to "get me" when I go to refresh water or gather eggs twice a day. I tell the wife, "the only reason he hasn't made it to the pot yet is because he is doing his job". Son-of-a-gun has survived an attack from 2 German Shepherds at the same time twice and held his own. Now for the last 4 months he has taken a particular interest in me. He even warded off a chicken-hawk before I put aviary netting up in both runs. Tough bird but reaching my limit with him.

Incidentally lost my 2nd hen this year, yesterday afternoon due to heat is my guess. Central Texas has been reaching over 100-degrees in the afternoons for a couple months. Heartbreaking and frustrating at the same time.

4. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    I had a red star rooster die protecting his girls from a dog.

5. Sophia5

Sophia5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    It's so sad when that happens!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by