Have you ever named a chicken after someone you know?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by denahli, Aug 12, 2008.

1. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    I named one of my chicks after my DH....LOL!

He wasn't too impressed, but now he even calls her by name. Anyone ever had and funny experiences naming their chicken after someone they know?
    [​IMG]

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Our nasty bantam Sultan rooster and his hen are named after the last wagonboss that worked here and his wife. My husband couldn't stand him and said he walked around like a banty rooster, and his wife was always doing her hair; the hen has one of those round poofs!

My Buff Orpington hens are named after his aunts. Again he did it, not me, and he picked out the bossy, fat one.

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I named one of my Welsummers "Dot" after my Grandmother. The chick was very tiny, much smaller than the rest and full of spunk. My Grandmother was short and spunky so it fit well.... until the Welsummer went through a late puberty and turned into a roo!

I also have a Bantam BR roo named Roger, it was the ugliest chick and for some strange reason reminded me of a less than handsome guy I knew as a teenager.

4. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I had one Polish I named after my sister Phyllis, it turned out to be a roo, so we culled it. Poor Phyllis..., I have another Polished also named after my sister Donna, and it's so funny, that girl is the best broody I have, just like my sister was. I now have a turkey that I've name Tommy, which is also my brothers name. I don't think he's going to like that one.... [​IMG]

5. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    i named my alpha (at the moment) chick after a friend of mine who is an outspokenly vocal woman and a fine conspiracy theorist. my friend is also from RI and the chick is a RIR. worked out perfectly. [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Had a Blue Orp rooster name Gordon after Gordie. And a Black Aussie pullet and NH pullet named after my two favorite relatives, my grandmother and her sister. One of them went biosexual on me, a hen crowed like a roo! [​IMG]

7. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    I had a very mean rooster--named him Moe, like one of the 3 Stooges!

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    One of my white show roos is named Dub-ya.........

9. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    woo hoo! there are others like me. I just get a kick out of my chickens and the idea that their namesake is someone I know...makes me smile...lol

10. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    named my Japanese bantam after my Japanese and Korean friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by