Have you ever picked up chicks on a Sunday or a Holiday?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Anna_MN, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    So my ship date is set for February 19th-22nd. I will be calling my post office and asking them what their policies are on days and times and such. I am concerned because mail doesn't come on Sundays (19th). And Monday (20th) is a holiday. I want to know if anyone has picked up chicks on a Sunday before or on a holiday?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There normally isn't anyone at the post office on sunday and holidays and if there were they wouldn't be getting deliveries. They'll probably come on Tuesday or Wednesday.

My Post Office is about 10 miles from the sort facility. What usually happens is if they're mailed priority, they arrive at my post office about 6:30 or 7:00 AM. Express comes about 9:00.
    So the chicks normally arrive before the PO answers the phone.
    Your phone# should be on the box and they usually call when they arrive so they can get that peeping box out of there. They don't always do that so I get the phone number of the sort room in advance telling them live animals are coming and call on my way there. I also bring my camera and open the box there to take pics of any dead birds.

3. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Mine are coming from Murray McMurray and I didn't even realize there was a holiday when I chose this week.

I called and spoke to a very nice lady. She said that they plan ahead for this type of thing and they put the eggs in the incubator 1 day after they usually would because of the postal service being closed Mon. (That way they hatch and then ship 1 day later than normal.)

So, instead of Mon I should have them Tues.

4. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    My chicks have come from MM before, and on a Sunday. They always call when they come in so that I can pick them up asap.

5. cloaking-chickens

cloaking-chickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    Yes, The Post Office (city) called Sunday morning and said they should arrive Monday, but if we drove to the city we could get them that day. We drove 3 hours and had our chicks from MM in the brooder within 48 hours of hatching. Best of luck.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    If they were mailed Express Mail, you should get them whatever day it is. There is someone working at most post offices every day but Sunday. And Christmas and New Years. You'll not see them, and they won't answer the phone or the door, but usually there are at least clerks there working behind the scenes, unless it's a post office that serves a really small area and has no Post Office Boxes.

If they are calling you and they weren't mailed Express Mail, they are doing you a real favor!

Retired postal worker. I've done everything there but sweep the floors and sell stamps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by