have you ever placed golf balls in the nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by portlandpeeps, Dec 8, 2008.

1. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    today while cleaning my house in preparation for the holidays, i ran across a couple of golf balls and i thought hmmmm... i wonder if i put those in the nest boxes would it encourage them to lay? has anyone had success with golf balls or other fake egg objects?

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I've used them to get the new pullets to lay in the coop nesting boxes. Of course, I don't know if it was because of the golf balls entirely, but that's where they lay now...

3. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    I use golf balls and they seem to work well. My new layers are all laying in the nest boxes and even come in from the run to lay. Such good girls [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    yep..i used fake plastic easter eggs...i think it worked for me..

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We use golf balls in the nest boxes to teach our girls to use them, worked like a charm.

We had to keep one in the Silkies boxes or they'd lay in the furthest away corners instead. [​IMG]

Dawn

6. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    thanks! glad to hear of your successes. i'll put them in tomorrow and let you know if it has any effect. our hens are various ages and i'm thinking the one that hasn't yet laid doesn't have any role models since our older ones seem to be on strike.

7. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I hate when they go on strike.... [​IMG]

8. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    i have golfballs in the nest boxes. If i move the balls from one box to another, the chickens follow them and only lay in the box with the balls.

9. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    Golf balls worked for me!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, but I'm still having disappearing golf ball issues!
    Two golf balls each in four nests. One golf ball in an end nest routinely disappears. I'm telling you I have torn the coop apart several times looking for it. The day after I give up looking for it, it reappears in the nest. [​IMG]
    My SO has suggested that one of the hens swallows it and then "redeposits" it. I think he just tells me that because he doesn't want to tell me I'm crazy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by