Have you ever raised chicks to sell?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by imthedude, Dec 27, 2010.

1. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    I put in an order at my local feed store today for a late January delivery of chicks. I ordered a few extra and told them that if they had a minimum order for any of them that I would take the extras thinking that I would raise them and sell. A friend paid $22 per bird for some 4 month old Australorps a couple of years ago. That seemed pretty steep to me, but he paid it so that he didn't have to raise chicks. [​IMG]

Anyone ever done this? If so, what did you charge for a 3 or 4 month old bird?

2. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    ouch 22 dollars each ....I buy them all day long 8 dollars for young laying hens.

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I've raised birds and sold them later, not necessarily for that reason alone, but I have done it before.

You can't get anything for chicks, nobody is going to pay over $5 for a day old. But I've only ever sold started, laying pullets, for $20 to $25 per bird and they go quick. I live in California though.

Considering I've bought chicks for as cheap as $1.75 each, that's pretty decent profit. Well... if you don't think about how much feed and water and care it takes to raise them to the "profitable" price... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    $22 each isn't much considering the $50 I paid for 2x 10 week old silkies. Back then I was still a "beginner"...Nothing special about them either [​IMG]

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We sell our started common breed pullets for $8.00 to $12.00 each here and raise several hundred a year. (Some we keep for ourself each year) I doubt I clear over a buck or two each after feed cost, but every little bit helps.

edited to add... these prices are for 5 - 6 month old birds, younger birds would be cheaper here.

6. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    around these parts..a $22 pullet best be laying golden eggs !!!! ....at auction ive seen high biddings on common breeds..and seen "show quality" go upwards of $125 for trio...i do sell chicks to adults of many special breeds..and barnyard mutts.. starting out normally at $3 for day olds..few weeks old all feathered out $5... pullets $10..but also all depends on buyers..i do pkg deals..add in free chicks, ect. special breeds..i have much higher prices...i sell culls..bit less then i would be selling for normal price..nothing wrong with these..just nothing id want to keep for myself...prices vary by location you live..how & where you are selling. and why you are selling....all money from my sales goes back into feeds or wire..equipment for animals.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I get about 15 - 20 per bird for young layers... 12 for 2 and 3 year old birds... and for Exotics usually a few bucks more... I get a pretty penny for my best marans... For a good breeder I will let the 2 and 3 year old birds go for 100 and 75 dollars... Those are for premium chocolate layers... I have no problem selling out. I will probably have to raise a boatload.. I sell the chicks for between 8 and 10 for the chicks straight run, depending on the month and the buying climate...I only hatch what I think I can sell... I don't get greedy...just try to raise enough for some feed for the year.... I am not a big producer of anything... But I do hatch to improve my lines and at the same time some locals can really benefit from my culls... My dark egg layer culls will sell all day long for 35 without any hesitation... They can be faulted as all getout but as long as they lay the egg that is known as Chocolate... I will get that price... from Portlanders that don't breed but want the best egg in the land. I haven't had any complaints at all about them. Not even my pricing. THey are very expensive to raise as I have had to buy shipped stock so I am actually just trying to recover some costs... I Value them so if they don't sell.. It doesn't matter... I will just keep em... I haven't ever had an overstock..I usually run out before summer.

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    soap&eggs :

around these parts..a $22 pullet best be laying golden eggs !!!! ....at auction ive seen high biddings on common breeds..and seen "show quality" go upwards of $125 for trio...i do sell chicks to adults of many special breeds..and barnyard mutts.. starting out normally at $3 for day olds..few weeks old all feathered out $5... pullets $10..but also all depends on buyers..i do pkg deals..add in free chicks, ect. special breeds..i have much higher prices...i sell culls..bit less then i would be selling for normal price..nothing wrong with these..just nothing id want to keep for myself...prices vary by location you live..how & where you are selling. and why you are selling....all money from my sales goes back into feeds or wire..equipment for animals.

LOL I managed to get rid of 10 x 4 week old silkies by selling them for $2 each. I'd been given an ultimatum that either the chicks went...or my roos [​IMG] Some guy picked them up the next day to resell AGAIN.....[​IMG]

9. poultry for me

poultry for me Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    I have raised chicks to sell and love doing it. For good layer breeds (i.e, rhode islands, jersey giants, orpingtons and so on) , you could price them at $3 each. For chicks that you have raised to around 15-17 weeks and have not started laying, those could go for $20 or more!! The buyer would be getting the benefits off ALL eggs any hens lay without dealing with chick feed expenses and light bulbs and cleaning the brooder..... I could go on forever!!!!! However, hens that have been laying for a year or more should be cheap because most of there eggs have been laid and they wont be needed for anything.

10. bethinoklahoma

bethinoklahoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    we let our kids do this... Teaches them alot but like the others say you do not make alot.
    Truth is we enjoy it as a hobby... You have to sale some to make room to buy more.
    Give it a try...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by