Have You Ever Seen A Black Guinea??

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by GuineaLady93, Sep 19, 2011.

1. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Has any one ever heard of Black guineas???
    I saw on a breeders list that someone had Black as one of the colors.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

bout as close as you can get is Royal Purple. Their plumage is black with very few spots and they have a purple iridescent shine when they are hit by the sun.

[​IMG]

This picture probably illustrates the color the best I have ever seen. I had some once.... they didn't get to grow up.... sigh.

3. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    When I searched Black Guinea Fowl I found this picture.
    [​IMG]

4. perchie.girl

Quote:Wow.... They almost look Dyed..... where did you find the pix....

5. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
  6. perchie.girl

I tracked down the origins of the picture and it comes from an Italian paper on Guineas..... Very interesting read much of the information I have been trying to locate online. I book marked it for further reading.... Thank goodness Google can translate Italian...

7. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Oh I am in love! They look like little penguins. Really need some of those keets!!!!

8. perchie.girl

Quote:I have a sneaky suspicion that they don't exist the paper where the pictures were posted is from Italy and many many of the pictures were restored from older pictures. I wish they did.... but... maybe more experience people with regard to color will chime in.

9. jcatblum

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    perchie.girl :

Quote:I have a sneaky suspicion that they don't exist the paper where the pictures were posted is from Italy and many many of the pictures were restored from older pictures. I wish they did.... but... maybe more experience people with regard to color will chime in.

Oh that would be sad, but I understand a black & white old pic changed over to color could be altered without intent.​

10. jcatblum

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    When I googled them, it appears they are a separate variety from the helmeted. Wild in Africa of course. So Migt not make a very good domestic bird. Plus they look pretty ugly grown! But I probally didn't think helmeted guineas were pretty a few yrs ago either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by