Have you ever seen a chicken VOMIT?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ADozenGirlz, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Yup. And yuck-o!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nope and I'd like to keep it that way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I'm chicken-sitting my neighbor's mini-flock and when I went over tonight to check on them, I actually witnessed one of them vomiting. I've only been a chicken owner for a year, but I've never seen something like that before. She hurled a clear liquid as far as I could tell.

Have you ever seen something like that and if so, why would that happen?

Oh, and for the record: EWWWWWWWWW!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    I've seen chicks that drink too much water at one time vomit.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    hey girlfriend!

technically, they cant vomit-VOMIT, since they don't have those puking muscles. But I have seen (younger birds especially) them expell liquids from their crop due to handling, sour crop, or plain clumsiness.

Remind me and I will send you a picture of my picture window when a pidgeon hit it juuuuust right. Who knew the little rat birds could pack away so much? [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My roo used to upchuck whenever he was moving too fast as a chick. He grew out of it.
    My favorite FAVORITE story of all time is the story of how a large turkey buzzard "jettisoned his payload" all over my DH's patrol car so that he could get sufficent altitude to keep from getting run over. [​IMG]

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Ive seen many of mine spew the clear liquid usually when spooked. *gross* [​IMG]

6. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Hey sista! I spent enough time in college bars to know a real live hurl when I see one! Weird b/c this bird is at least a year and a half old.

Looking forward to that photo (not so much).

Happy 4th of July!

7. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:What's THAT about?!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Humans vomit. Chickens regurgitate. So many theories as to why. Who knew such a simple bird could make our brains cogitate so deeply? Some simply spit up a bit of water and some can really let it fly! Mr. Rooster: Huuuaccckkkk! Anybody want some? Okay? Nobody? Then I'll eat it. Mrs. Hen: uuuurrrrrrrp! Oh, excuse me. Other hen: Oh my! Here let me help you with that. There now....all gone. Let's go eat some corn. Cockerel: Urrrrrraaaaack! Oh look! I can see what I just ate! Awesome! The bug is still moving. Everybody look!

At this point the dominant hen comes over and pecks the cockerel's toes to shut him up. The young bird raises his neck feathers then sees the dominant rooster coming closer with his chest out and wings down. The younster takes one look at the deep red wattles shaking in anger and quickly retreats, pretending to chase another insect. Mr. Rooster crows and flaps his wings. Mrs. Hen fluffs her feathers into perfect position and joins the other at the feeder.

All is now quiet in chicken coop that is my mind.

9. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Woa. Now those are some mental images I didn't need to have. [​IMG]

10. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never seen a chicken vomit, but I did see our parrot do it once. DH let her ride on his shoulder in the car when he came to pick me up at work and it apparently made her car sick. She started looking kind of strange and then she puked all down his shirt. I would have never imagined a bird could puke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by