Have you ever seen an albino white tail deer?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Carolyn, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I saw a doe this afternoon as I drove down a state hwy here in TN. I knew I saw that white deer statue move, besides why would someone put a statue of a deer in a field next to the woods? Being a true country gal I turned around and went back to get a better look. She was beautiful, pure white. I was so amazed and thankful God gave me the priviledge of watching such an awesome creation. I just wondered it anyone else on here has ever seen one?

I've done a lot of traveling as a home visiting nurse and have seen buffalo, zebra and all kinds of exotic animals at unexpected places all captive in private zoos but my favorite has always been to see the wild life along the country roads. However, I never even thought to put this one on my bucket list.

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    That's very cool that you got to see something that few will ever see. Glad you were able to double back for a good look because it's funny how our minds can play games on us, like, did I really just see that???

I wonder if they're protected in your state? I've never seen one in the wild. We also have some here that are white, not albino, but it's a variant that's almost as rare: http://azdailysun.com/trot-across-the-road/image_f4767f2a-6e14-50ab-a0e6-8a6f066e21cc.html

How fortunate you were! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    They are protected here. I have found some other folks who have seen this deer also. I wish I had been close enough to have seen her hooves and eyes, she was really white. Thanks, Dewey.

4. lolita117

lolita117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    Last year we got a deer on camera that had 4 white socks. I actually got to see her in real life. Had her at 25 yards bow hunting. But the husband wouldn't let me kill her. He wants her to have a buck with white socks.

[​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I would love to see one! I would think it would be difficult for the deer to hide with that coloration? [​IMG] White or albino animals don't do well in the wild. If you happen upon it again, take a picture, we'd sure love to see it!

6. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    In tennessee I don't know of any predator that hunts deer besides humans. Maybe a bear but that would have to be a really fast bear.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    have seen both white, and albino, also piedbald...brown and white spotted.. i had a pure white doe...not really that rare, but most get killed in the wild.

see if i can post pic of my white whitetail doe.

Matthew...yes you do .black bear, coyotes both prey on whitetail , even stray dogs more so.

8. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Thanks for clearing it up for me.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    pic of my pet white whitetail doe ,she was about 4 month old at the time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  10. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Here in AZ their predators are mostly mountain lions, coyotes, and eagles, although bears won't knock the meal back, either.

Deerman, the link is not working...can't wait to see the pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by