Have you ever seen an albino white tail deer?

I have seen many white deer, but never an albino. Also in the area around my home there are frequently piebalds that appear. At one time I worked on the Doris Duke estate - several thousand acres that was protected from hunting. The estate contained a massive herd in which there were several white deer.

Matthew, here in NJ one of the most frequent deer predators is the automobile. I have never seen it myself, but I have spoken with two people who have seen a pair of fox working together to separate a pair of twins from their mother in an attempt at predation. I do know that on that particular year very few does around here raised 2 fawns. This was most likely a learned predatory trick unique to this particular pair of fox.

I've never seen a white one in the wild, only on I think it was Spectrum Ranch's website! They also have paints (or piebalds). So cool and lucky of you to see it. I believe there is some Native American lore around white deer too.
smile.png

There are also black white tail deer. The un-natural colored deer, piebald, white or black used to be protected in Michigan. However, they finally realized that this is a mutation that is not something that should be protected just because they're pretty.

The albino deer picture was really nice. I am amazed coyotes didn't get he when she was a fawn. She must be really smart to be able to hide with no camoflage to protect her. Thank you for sharing.

Piebald deer are common in this area--I've seen one in the wild but they are often shot during the season. The Senaca Army Depot out in the western part of NYS has a resident herd of white deer that are a tourist attraction http://www.senecawhitedeer.org/, Since the area is fenced they are an inbred population one that now needs to be culled but the idea is causing problems. Hard to imagine, right?

ive seen 2, chance to see a third but it was dead in someones truck bed,, they say if you shoot one that you wont shoot another deer for 7 or so years,,think the year changes every time i hear story lol. so i didnt wanna take my chances and wouldnt look at the dead one lol.

Thank you all for your replies and especially for the pics. I so wished I had a camera. She was definitely white but she might not have been a true albino. She looked very much like your pic deerman. I am finding they have been spotted in other areas in West TN. My grandson told me someone had spotted a fawn with a large frontal blaze this year on one of their farms and I heard from another source that there have been white deers spotted in that area. I am amazed that they are not culled by dogs, coyotes, etc as babies here though she would have been well hidden with adequate snow covering. My brothers, sons, grandsons are all hunters and I had never heard of any spottings of a white deer until I ask around after seeing her. She has been seen in the area which is fairly populated which might have been an advantage. I love living in the country but living in town around here can be really good for spotting deer especially during deer season

There are also black white tail deer. The un-natural colored deer, piebald, white or black used to be protected in Michigan. However, they finally realized that this is a mutation that is not something that should be protected just because they're pretty.

would love to have a black one........may even give my left arm for that fawn

Back
Top Bottom