Have you ever seen an egg like this

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jpelton, Jan 22, 2012.

1. jpelton

jpelton Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    I have 4, 3 1/2 year old Sex Link Chickens... Today I got this egg.

Does anyone know how or why this happens?

[​IMG]

2. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    is that a raw egg?
    totally bizzare, I have no idea, but I'm camping on to see if you get an answer.

3. jpelton

Nov 26, 2011
    It was laid this morning, It came out of the chicken that way and I thought from the color it was going to be soft when I picked it up and I was shocked that it was more the consistency of putty. there was a small amount of blood on the out side.

4. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    maybe it froze?
    it looks like a potato...

5. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I had an Isa that laid weird eggs. It almost looked like it was cooked inside of her, very meaty. Someone said, if I remember correctly, that the egg was slow in coming out, so with the body heat of the chicken, it did cook itself. Watch the she doesn't become egg bound.

6. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    It does look like cooked yolk, I would be concerned about internal laying. Has she been laying regularly?

7. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Yikes, that is the freakiest egg I've ever seen. I hope you get an answer!

8. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    We had a hen that was egg bound and died from it. When we opened her up the egg that was stuck had several layers of "tissue" wrapped around it. Looked just like that. Sort of like the body was trying to isolate the bad egg. Could be your hen was egg bound and finally laid the egg.

9. jpelton

Nov 26, 2011
    She hasn't been laying eggs sinse she was sick about a month and a half ago. She was very hungrey this morning and looked good except she still has a pail comb. Even when she was sick I was wondering if she was having an egg production issue because we were getting big rinkley eggs that I suspected was her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by