Have you ever seen this! :D

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovin my birds, Apr 20, 2011.

1. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I have an americauna girl who just went broody. She is so cute. She will gather up all the eggs and lay on them. I have two different spots where my chickens lay. One where one of my BO lays on the eggs and the other where she lays. I have never seen her do this before but when i was cleaning the coop she hopped up to where the BO nest was while she was out eating pick up one of the eggs in her claws and hopped backed down to her nest. It was the funniest thing i have ever seen. She looked so funny hopping on one foot all the way back to her nest. That egg never touched the ground. She did this twice while i was in there. I actually surprised she could pick it up, the egg was lad by the BO so it was pretty big. I was just sharing my funny experience of the day. Anyone ever heard and or had this experience before?

2. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    No, but that sounds hilarious! [​IMG]

3. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    aww how cute would have loved to see this lol...

4. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Lol! She is adorable! I went and checked on them again and she had taken all the eggs out of the BO nest and the BO was squaking up a storm complaining her eggs where gone. So i tok them back and gave them back to her. I dont know if they will still be there later. [​IMG] But we will see. I gave her a few extras from another pen so she seems happy. She is sitting on a total of 20 eggs now. Haha! Such a greedy hen. She want them all for herself.

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Awww, how cute! It would have been hilarious to see! [​IMG]

2 of mine are trying to be broody...1 of them cozies up next to the other hen then very slowly reaches her head under the other one to steal her eggs...as though if she does it slow enough the other hen won't notice, lol...she just rolls them right out and tucks them under herself.

Too bad you didn't pics or video of your hopping hen...how hilarious! [​IMG]

6. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Oh I wish you would video tape this! That sounds hilarious! Ive never heard of such a thing! LOL

7. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    Yes! Yes! A video!! And then post it!!!![​IMG]

8. Coenobita

Coenobita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    I need a video too! that is so funny, I've never seen a hen do that!

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:If I had a broody hen that smart, I think I'd have no problem letting her hatch those eggs.

10. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I would take a video, but i lost my camera. [​IMG] I love her! She is my favorite hen. She is my most friendly one to. Until she is laying on her eggs and then she isnt so friendly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by