Have You Ever Seen This? Foot Injury - Pictures

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by casportpony, Jan 16, 2014.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One of my young males has two sores on his feet, one on each foot and I was wondering if any of you had seen something like this before. He was limping and kept picking at them, so I cleaned them and wrapped them very carefully using telfa pads with Betadine, gauze roll for padding, vet-wrap for most of bandage and Elastikon at the top. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Snazzy socks!![​IMG]

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    That is soo cute! Peafowl leg warmers!
    I haven't seen an issue with sores before so I am not sure. it looks like his feet are in good hands though. ;)

4. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Hi Kathy, I did see something like that before, but never figured it out. Last summer when I had my young ones in a wire bottomed coop, I noticed several had cuts like that on their feet. I washed them with soap & water and applied Neosporin, then just kept an eye on them. All healed up with no problem and I assumed it was the wire bottom, but never could figure out how it was happening. It happened to 3 or 4 different birds.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks... It's been going on for several weeks, but hasn't healed, hence the reason I wrapped him yesterday. He's on dirt with several others, but he's the only one like that. It probably would have healed fine, but he kept pecking at them.

-Kathy

6. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Sorry I wasn't more help! It was always between the toes and I just couldn't figure out how it was happening. If the wounds had been on the bottoms of the feet the wire floor would have made more sense. Didn't see it before the wire floor and didn't see it after they were off it, so that was all that was left. Mindy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Is it possible that he's just a neurotic pea? You know, like when a dog licks some part of it's body until it's raw?

-Kathy

8. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    When a dog does that it is called a "Lick Granuloma", how's that for useless trivia??? LOL Perhaps he has a "Peck Granuloma". Is he by any chance at the bottom of the pecking order, that could maybe stress him and make him self mutilate. I have a hen that picks her own wings bloody every year after molting. It is really gross and scary, but I think she may feel the new feathers coming in and pick at them, then when she draws blood she goes nuts and will not stop. I keep thinking she is going to bleed to death one of these years. So they are capable of hurting themselves for no reason. Mindy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They all seem to get along fine, but he does look smaller than the rest, so I'm going to start checking his weight daily.

-Kathy

10. We call them skin splits. Always figured dry skin or too much water/wetness. Never had one with both feet that way. I only worry if it gets worse than what yours looks like and/or limping. See it two or three times in a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by