Have you ever seen this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boxwoman, Oct 29, 2009.

1. boxwoman

boxwoman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2009
    New Milford
    [​IMG]

One of my hens plopped this out while walking across the lawn? Why is this happening?[​IMG]

2. rapunzil

rapunzil Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    OMG I was biting into a bagel when I opened up this post. Ugh I wish I hadnt!

3. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes!!! I thought my hen layed her organs out, and then expected her to stop laying, but she hasn't. Actually, her laying has been decreased by at least half since then, but she still lays so I guess that's not an oviduct as I guessed. So, I'd love it if someone knows exactly what's going on there. My girl is a RIR. What's yours? I'm wondering if this problem is more common in some kinds of chickens more than others.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    [​IMG]

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    What are you doing for feed and supplements? It looks like connected soft/no shell eggs. Did you open them up to see? If you're not already I'd offer them crushed oyster shell along with a good lay ration and see if that helps. Have you had any other wonky eggs from any of your girls, thin shells etc.?

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Oooh, bad timing! Gross!

7. boxwoman

boxwoman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2009
    New Milford
    Sorry for the gross picture -- This was from a black australorp and she is about 27 weeks old. I feed my hens Purina Layer food crumbles and have free choice oyster shell. They also get peanuts, cracked corn, raisins and assorted veggies. My other 3 lay beautiful eggs. I cannot figure out what is going on.

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    The diet sounds pretty good as long as the treats are treats and not a major portion of their daily intake. At 27 weeks (or any other age for that matter) I suppose she could just have ahiccup in her system. Was this a one time event or does she lay wonky eggs regularly? If this is a one time event I wouldn't worry too much about it.

9. rapunzil

rapunzil Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    Boxwoman no worries now, I'm OK! LOL!

It is actually very interesting, just wish my timing was better!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just a glitch, I'd think. I had this one recently myself:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by