Have you ever thought of getting rid of them?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Zahboo, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have not so many chickens, 2 mottled Cochin, 4 silkies, and 4 standards. I love them, don't get me wrong, but part of my just wants to keep my cochins. They are my two hens and so lovey. The others don't want to be touched. I really love them, I care for them all the same. But when I open the pen and they run I just kinda stand there and then run. The standards hurt themselves trying to get away, even though I handle them just like the cochins. [​IMG] I have half and a third of my mind to just say, okay, lets get em on CL and give them to some one. Why am I paying an arm and a leg for coops, feed, and treats and not even get a cluck you. I never understand it. It'd be so easier to care for 2 bantams than 10. But then other times I feel like I want more! I just wanna know if I'm alone.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    It depends on why you keep chickens. If you keep them as pets only, then I would sell the other birds and just keep the ones that are better socialized to you and enjoy your company. If you keep them for eggs, pest control, etc. then you would have to weigh the convenience of fresh eggs, etc against the trouble/expense and lack of interaction with them. Good luck figuring it out. By the way, the title of your post sounded like you were contemplating suicide![​IMG]

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    You can't end the chicken addiction, the withdrawal symptoms are too painful.

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    They are my babies, well, Dot and Speck are. We have bantams, just for the love of them. I don't tolerate pecking and flogging, so the standards best learn their place, but I do like them [​IMG]

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah, I thought we were going to have to talk you off a bridge.. maybe want to change the title to something like Have you ever thought about getting rid of them all? or something...

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    chickensducks&agoose :

Quote:Yeah, I thought we were going to have to talk you off a bridge.. maybe want to change the title to something like Have you ever thought about getting rid of them all? or something...

[​IMG] My bad​

7. I have not so many chickens, 2 mottled Cochin, 4 silkies, and 4 standards. I love them, don't get me wrong, but part of my just wants to keep my cochins...

Hi! Sell / rehome those chickens and don't feel bad about it. There is someone out there who will enjoy them for what they 'are', and you can get more friendly birds that you'll enjoy.
    I've hatched and raised some breeds here only to find that I didn't 'enjoy' them at all.
    Good luck with your decision.
    ps: Your post title sounds like a pre-suicide note (??). Hahaha, I've never thought of ending 'chicken keeping'.
    I have, however, often thought of what would happen to all my animals if I met an untimely end and made arrangements with local friends (contact numbers for the animals care are in my wallet), because I know they would be be the last thing on my husbands mind at that time.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  8. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Too bad I don't live closer-I would take your Silkies! [​IMG]

9. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    There is nothing wrong with you downsizing and just keeping the chickens you want. You are not a bad chicken mama. Chickens are not like a cat and/or dog where you have work with them to make it "fit". Rehome them now, on craigslist, while everyone is looking to replace their stock.
    Keep the cochins and get rid of the silkies and bantams. You'll be happier and 2 are much easier. Maybe then you'll feel "free" to get more cochins.
    This keeping chickens is supposed to be fun and if you are not enjoying it because of the other's, get rid of them.

I love all my little pullets.
    I have a few roosters who are making me crazy right now. [​IMG] They just give those little girls a hard bite whenever they feel like it.
    I have a bruise & peck mark/cut on the inside of my ankle right now. They are going to be moved into their own pen and I'm seriously considering AI.

Good luck to you and show those birds the door! [​IMG]

Brenda

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have the ones that won't come near me for eggs. Eggs only. The others, they are my pets and my favs. Swiffer is just about the sweetest rooster on this planet, and Audrey follows me everywhere. Annie sits on my feet. Charmin runs like hell, but when I catch her, she cuddles. I love my chickens. And my goofball ducks. Have you ever seen a runner duck RUN?? HAHAHAHAHA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by