Have you ever wanted to just pick up and move?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by georgialee, Jun 24, 2010.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    What I wouldn't give to go buy a B&B in Scotland where my DH and I can work together.... It's much less expensive to buy a business there than it is here and the beauty is unequaled (at least to me [​IMG] ). Sometimes I wonder what I'm waiting for... we only have one life, and it's a short one.

Please tell me I'm not alone?!? What is your dream?

2. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    Well I kinda did...lived in suburbia in a house with a matchbox yard about a year ago...you know, where you can hear your neighbor sneeze and NO CHICKENS ALLOWED. Well, I wanted chickens for some crazy reason [​IMG] and we moved out to the boonies, got some land, and some CHICKENS!!! [​IMG]

Would love to have a bunch more land though...maybe in Ireland, I went there as a teen and loved it!

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Yes, and I've done it many times. I've been migratory my entire adult life. I've moved dozens and dozens of times, too many to count, literally, and lived in several states. Always had a fascination with New Zealand and have been tempted to pack up and move there, but never quite dared to move out of the country.

I finally bought a house for the first time in rural New Hampshire, and I love having my own land and the privacy. I feel a sense of permanence here, but I'm not married to the concept. If I get sick of it and want to move again, I will. I look back on all my moves and realize I have a ton of great stories and have learned a lot about people from the various places I've lived.

Don't be afraid to start over. Doing it is scary, but rarely does anyone regret starting over.

4. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    I would love to live in New Zealand. I have wanted to live there since I saw a pic when I was 7 lol unfortunately I have a husband that I can't even get to travel out of sate unless it's an emergency. So I will just keep dreaming. I would go for it if you can, your right you only got one life.

Julie [​IMG]

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Already did it, packed up and moved to Alaska 10 years ago.

6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Pick up and move? on a whim? definitely...and then people look at you like you are unprepared and crazy...but hey you know what. I have done it!!! I moved around for a few years after having my daughter in 2003 went to western canada and then back to Ontario and back to western canada again...well it just wasn't working living in southern ontario for me, Living int he city was rough and constantly having to check and recheck all windows and doors, make sure I didn't leave my dogs out too long for fear someone would try to steal them from the backyard again. Or Having to leave the park because underneath the slide was a needle some crack head used the night before and decided to leave it where children play...well I sure was a tthe end of my rope. and on top of everything else money was super tight, rent was sky high yet we lived in a dump, and my husband and I were having dire relationship issues. I couldn't take it anymore. Then I got a phone call from the lawyer of my father's estate. My father had passed away 1.5 years earlier and I had been told there might have been some money left behind but no one shared details with me because my dad passed away in England and half my family lived there so I figured I would never see a dime anyhow and I was ok with that because well I didn't love my dad for his money. So the estate lawyer told me to check my fax machine and then my bank account. I was shocked, my father had left all five children almost 100k each. It was almost like my father had been answering my prayers at the exact moment I needed them answered. Because an hour prior to the phone call I had called my freind and I was in the process of packing a few things and leaving with my daughter, I just didn't think things would get better and the stress of things were taking too much out of us.

As I stared at the bank balance I called my husband and asked him to come home. The same day I bought an SUV and insured it. I packed a couple over night bags and began driving. 16 hours away I found a small town I immediately fell in love with. that weekend I bought a farm house with 48 acres, it needed a lot of work, but for 20k I couldn't complain seeing it was just beautiful. 2 weeks later I moved into the home and said good bye to everyone in the city and moved to the country. I have been here 5 years, my house is paid off and I have a wonderful farm. things got soo much easier and not having that stress my husband and I went back to being the same people we were and we couldn't love each other more. 3 children, 5 dogs, 3 cats, 2 ginea pigs, 2 fish, and 21 chickens later and we are still loving it. Soon we will have a pig, a cow and a horse. Everthing we wanted. This was our dream when we first got together and it came true. Sometimes I guess you just have to take a risk and follow your dream even if people try to talk you down. Cause my family tried and I am glad I stuck to it and went for it. The money was gone in 2 months, but my house is paid for, the truck is too and I stay home with my children while my husband works. When he comes home he is happy. Its just so relaxing living in such a place. wakig up to the wildlife and being surrounded by trees and lakes!!!

7. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:From where, can I ask?

8. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:From where, can I ask?

From Houston, Tx, but we only lived there a miserable year... too dang hot.

Originally from upstate NY and hubby from Mobile, we met in Alaska in the Military in 1982, got out of the serivce in 1991. Moved around the country for 18+ years before saying SCREW it we're going back. Sold everything and moved.

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I love on the outskirts of Melbourne in Australia- and a five minute drive from paddocks of sheep and cows- but I still miss the country life. I have a block of land two hours away- its 13 acres of trees with a shed. The floor is dirt- but I have covered it- and we have carpet in there now. I have an outdoor flushing toilet and a pot belly stove inside for cold nights. I love it up there...no power or running water. I would love to be able to be up there for a whole two weeks. I couldnt live there permanently as it would be against council regulations...But as a weekender- its just fantastic.

I would love to buy a smaller block up in the area when I am closer to retirement age and build a little cottage... But for now I am stuck in the city - as I have a teenaged daughter- who has a few more years of school yet... I will continue to dream...

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If only I had unlimited funds.

We came to AZ and had 7 "anchor babies". I'm stuck here.

And so here we are, viviendo la vida loca!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by