Have you ever wondered

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rustymurphy, Jan 25, 2017.

1. rustymurphy

rustymurphy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2016
    Fairchild Wis
    Has anyone used a stethoscope to hear what's going on in side the eggs can you hear the heart beat?

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Interesting.....Never wondered about that......Highly possible........

Cheers!

3. rustymurphy

Dec 15, 2016
    Fairchild Wis
    I ordered a cheap stethoscope from Amazon should come Fri I'll let you know if it works if it does work l should know if chicks inside eggs are alive all the time maybe from day 7 just think if you could hear the heart beat that early

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG].......Never hurts to try........Yep......Keep me posted.........

Cheers!

5. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Tried and it didn't work until very late in the incubation cycle. I did a lot of research on trying to make a heart rate monitor and I failed. There are devices on the market where you place a egg in a box that's sound proof. The sound inside is then amplified and a computer works out the heart rate. There are also university studies that use ekg and other electronic devices to monitor the heart rate in real time (they say this is non destructive so the probe must be on the outside of the egg) of course they don't show the devices they used. I tried infra red led lighting under the egg as there are cheap devices to read the blood flow but I was unable to get the light to pass the egg shell. I would be interested if you do work out a way to monitor the heart rate.

6. rustymurphy

Dec 15, 2016
    Fairchild Wis
    I have heard that you can put a egg in warm water to see if chick is alive without hurting the chick doe's anyone know if this is true I know that if you lay in the bathtub with your head under water just past your ears you can hear your heart beat would this work for eggs

7. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    You can float eggs and from day 10 and it's very evident which ones have a growing chick inside as they will jerk in the water. I've used this a lot on my quail eggs as they are so difficult to see into when candling. I never worry too much about measuring the temperature - as long as the water is nice and warm and you aren't leaving the egg in there for more than the short while it takes to see if it moves, you won't be heating or cooling the egg to the extent of hurting the growing chick. It's usually used on overdue eggs to see if there is still a live chick in the egg, but you have to be very careful that the egg hasn't started externally pipping or the water will get in and drown the chick.

I've heard of this technique being used on tiny finch eggs, expensive pheasant eggs etc so it's been around awhile and is effective.

I haven't heard noises (other than tapping or cheeping when close to hatching) but often you can feel quail chicks that are getting ready to begin the process of hatching moving in their egg if you hold it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by