Have you ever wondered....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BooBear, May 19, 2011.

1. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    other than red, what other colors can chickens see?

I am curious as I know cats can see certain colors; yellow, blue, and green. So when you decorate areas with these hues it can stimulate their senses.
    Red is definitely a stimulate for chickens. But are there any other colors that stimulate their sight senses?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Vision in birds is much more complex than you would imagine. They see not only standard colors, but also several colors that we can't see in the ultraviolet range. I used to have a fascinating link to bird vision, but I seem to have misplaced it. Sorry.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    that sounds fascinating.

I was thinking of rearranging the inside of the coop to provide more stimulas and fun for them. If they see good in colors then creating a fun multi-color scheme would be a cheap fun way to enliven the coop.

I was also thinking about cat trees. Those neat jungle gym type of kitty furniture that is covered in carpet and sisil rope. For the chickens what if one made something similar that is not covered in carpet. (carpet would make an aweful poop magnet)

Dad wants to find a tree with limbs branching out to put in the center that would make it feel like they were in a tree. But that makes me wonder about the food and water placements. So I keep looking at my cats jungle gym trees that they love to spring upon and play around and keep thinking like "hey, that makes a nice high perch for a chicken, that round sleep thing would make a cool nest box. hmmmm"

Think I am having a late form of spring fever with my coop in mind. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by