Have you ever

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmomma30, Apr 10, 2008.

1. chickmomma30

chickmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Odessa MO
    I have a baby chick that is about a month old and is a barred rock that loves to lay on side and stretch its feet out. Now i have been around chickens since i was a teen and never ever seen this happen. I have been trying to gget a pic. never really able to get it quick enough. Have any of you seen this. Oh and yes it is still alive and running like crazy. I told my mother about it and she asked if it was dead. lol i asked same question. Any idea if this is a strange chick or have you seen this before?

2. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Yup, I've seen it. Especially in a few on my Buff Orpingtons, some hens just like to kick back and relax I guess!! [​IMG]

3. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    Yeah, my 8-week olds do it a lot, especially in the sun.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    My little ones do it all the time. They stretch out under the heat lamp, kinda roll to one side, and stretch that little leg out. I think they think it is a tanning bed. LOL

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Mine do it too. I just uploaded a video of a group dusting on my BYC webpage. When I went out yesterday I saw a heap of chicks with a couple legs sticking straight up in the air. My heart skipped a beat, then I realized they were doing their afternoon dusting.

<Edited to see if I can post the video here>
    [​IMG]

Tried to embed it, but I guess it didn't work..ah well.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  6. jmk3482

jmk3482 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2007
    Troy, MO
    I've seen it too. I think their just sun bathing... cute as can be![​IMG]

7. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is how my newest babies sleep!!! Well, at least they did when they were little!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I thought that they were dead the first time I seen them laying that way!! [​IMG] But after so many batches I am used to it now!!! [​IMG]

8. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    My little baby 'cauanas do it all the time. Scared da bajeeebers out o' me first time i saw it. It looked like a flat road kill bird. I have a perch in thier brooder about 3" high and with the bedding it's only about an inch off the bedding. I have seen my babies lay on thier sides with thier little heads hangin over the perch lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by