Have you ever

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by dadsdeercamp, Sep 21, 2011.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    sold some of your birds and felt like you sold your family? I hatched all my birds in the last 6 months. [​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yes and No.

I've sold tons of birds, but I've never felt really sorry, although a few times when I did custom hatches for people I did feel a bit sorry, but once you think of all the feed you're going to save it isn't too hard. [​IMG]

~Aspen

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not yet. I've never sold any birds I was really attached to - They're all still here with me. [​IMG]

However I have been upset with several of my sales. Some people around here. [​IMG] Either they lose the bird less than 12 hours after they left my property because they just let him go free range with the rest, and off he goes in panic, or they lose the birds due to predator attacks because they don't have a coop or safe run for the chickens at night, or somehow the chicken "hung himself" on a wire or rope.

Sometimes I think selling chickens requires a survey or screening like with puppies, at least out here. . . .

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have been really lucky, most of the ones I have sold have gone to other family members, friends, or someone they knew. I have sold a few roos at auction, but most of them went to some local chicken person. Usually all I have had to do is a little word of mouth advertising.
    BUT even so it is all I can do to watch them drive away, I admit. Even growing up on a farm, I am still one of those people that just gets atttached to any "baby" I raise.You can say I am raising these to sell all you want but on sell day it is so hard to do.

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:My cousin and I have agreed not to sale each other any chickens ever again because if she buys from me or I give her a roo she loses it right away.

6. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    The guy I sold them to is a fellow BYCer and seemed to be well informed. he really liked the blues in some of the birds he got. he is starting a farm out in the sticks here in pine city.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by