1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have you got a Worx

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rancher hicks, Jun 3, 2011.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I saw the info-mercial for the Worksgt and was thinking of getting one. I've read the reviews and some are good and some bad. What I like about it is the light weight. I have a Black and Decker cordless and I do like it but it's too heavy for my hands. I can only use it for a little while before my arms and hands begin to hurt.

Nothing helpls that except to rest for a day. Not fun.

I use cordless all the time cuz it's convenient and requires me to rest when I need a new battery which is good. Though they are getting heavier as I age. Lord have mercy I used the drill and my whole shoulder and arm hurt so bad I couldn't sleep. I was icing it twice a day for two days.

So if anyone has the Worxgt trimmer I'd appreciate the advice.

My black and decker is over 6 or 7 years old and it still works fine for me though the handle is broken and I've had to put one of those metal rings around the shaft. It's plastic and plastic dries out and crackes. It's just getting to heavy. Can't weigh more than 10#'s

thanks for the help

Rancher

2. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to know the same thing. We have the heavy ones that my DH and son have no problem using. Whenever I use them they kill my back. The problem is my DH and son have not been doing the weedwhacking and the yard looks terrible. I want to find a good one that is lightweight so I can use it. I am getting sick of nagging, I am ready to do it myself.

3. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I like my B&D 18 volt and it's been fine. I can't replace the handle since the newer models have a skinnier shaft and they no longer make the older handles. I would like a 24 volt and would probably get that next. Cordless aren't for not for thick weeds but do well if things are maintained. It will take things right down to the ground and I use mine to clear weeds around my raised beds.

It's just that the Worx is said to be only 6 pounds and that would be easier on my hands and arms. There are of course times when something more powerful is warranted but I only work in spurts of 20 min or so.

To me when the battery runs down it's time for a drink and rest. [​IMG]

You might like the B&D and it may be just fine if you don't have joint problems. I recommend the B&D in this case. Mine has lasted pretty good. You hang it up and it charges. I like that too.

I wish there was a way to hang up the chargers for my 18 volt batteries for my drill and circular saw. Those have to be sat on a shelf and I don't like that. Unless of course I design a holder of some kind myself.

Cordless tools are never really for heavy duty jobs. Dewalt is the best but very expensive. I've seen it used by commercial construction guys but they carry lots of batteries and tools.

The right tool for the right job and things go faster. IMO.

4. Pairie Faring

Pairie Faring Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Dodge City
    I really like mine! very light and I love that it is rechargeable!

5. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Is that the Worx or the B&D.

I like that the worxs is adjustable and it does come in the 24volt non lithium. I like the edger feature to.

The B& D is only 2 pounds more and probably lighter than what I've got now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by