have you guys ever seen anything like this before?

doright

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
a buddy of mine brought a rooster over the other day and this is what he looked like. do you guys think it is fowl pox?

IMG000581.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. That looks to me like a bad case of fowl pox, poor bird. Did you keep this bird isolated from your flock? Although fowl pox is transmitted by mosquitoes, the scabs are also highly infective and can remain so for months after they've fallen off a bird. My vet pointed out that this is one way a bird can contract the dreaded "wet" form of the disease, by pecking and swallowing one of those scabs.

Caveat: the only chicken disease I have personal knowledge of is fowl pox...just had it confirmed by a vet in my flock, though.

Yep, my hen did this about a month ago.

15239_hen_001.jpg

After I took this pic, she recovered in about 4 days, completely back to normal. I really do not know if it was fowl pox and NONE of the other birds have contracted it.

I did isolate her, but she is running with the flock as I type this.

Quote:
It looks nasty, sure, but if it is fowl pox and his nasal passages and throat aren't affected, he'll recover with simple supportive care...like making sure he can find food/water and protecting him from being attacked by other birds.

I Tried Doctoring Him But To No Help To The Rooster Because I Found Him Dead The Next Morning Poor Guy. My Concern Is That I Had Got Three Hens And A Rooster From The Same Guy About A Week Earlier And I Noticed This Morning One Hen And The Rooster Had Bumps Coming Up On His There Heads And I Am Very Concerned That They Will Transfer It To My Other Chickens.
Is Ther Anything I Can Do To Stop It From Getting As Bad.

Quote:
From what I have read, the best thing is to not mess with the crusts. The more you mess with them, the worse they can get.
Seperate the infected birds even though the virus is spread by misquitos.
If the birds are pecking at each other, seperate them from each other too; because the dry form can lead to the wet form when the scabs are injested.
Some vitamins in their water couldn't hurt.
I hope this helps.
My friend's flock is starting to get better now.

this site was very helpful: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/63/fowl-pox-pox-avian-pox

Back
Top Bottom