1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

have you guys ever seen anything like this before?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by doright, Nov 14, 2009.

1. doright

doright New Egg

Nov 13, 2009
    a buddy of mine brought a rooster over the other day and this is what he looked like. do you guys think it is fowl pox?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes. That looks to me like a bad case of fowl pox, poor bird. Did you keep this bird isolated from your flock? Although fowl pox is transmitted by mosquitoes, the scabs are also highly infective and can remain so for months after they've fallen off a bird. My vet pointed out that this is one way a bird can contract the dreaded "wet" form of the disease, by pecking and swallowing one of those scabs.

Caveat: the only chicken disease I have personal knowledge of is fowl pox...just had it confirmed by a vet in my flock, though.

3. cluck-addict

cluck-addict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    MN
    HOLY MACARONI!!!!!!! that looks awful. I'd be tempted to put him out of his misery. [​IMG]

4. Yep, my hen did this about a month ago.

[​IMG]

After I took this pic, she recovered in about 4 days, completely back to normal. I really do not know if it was fowl pox and NONE of the other birds have contracted it.

I did isolate her, but she is running with the flock as I type this.

5. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    YE GADS

I have over 200 layers and never seen this and been doing this for over 10 years.

Woof! that is nasty.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:It looks nasty, sure, but if it is fowl pox and his nasal passages and throat aren't affected, he'll recover with simple supportive care...like making sure he can find food/water and protecting him from being attacked by other birds.

7. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    Poor little bird, I think I would be very tempted to put it down if it was mine.
    This looks like a friend of mine's bird and she's pretty sure it's avian pox too.

There are pics on her post, looks a lot like the little bantam rooster she just lost a couple days ago.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=265562

8. doright

doright New Egg

Nov 13, 2009
    I Tried Doctoring Him But To No Help To The Rooster Because I Found Him Dead The Next Morning Poor Guy. My Concern Is That I Had Got Three Hens And A Rooster From The Same Guy About A Week Earlier And I Noticed This Morning One Hen And The Rooster Had Bumps Coming Up On His There Heads And I Am Very Concerned That They Will Transfer It To My Other Chickens.
    Is Ther Anything I Can Do To Stop It From Getting As Bad.

9. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    Quote:From what I have read, the best thing is to not mess with the crusts. The more you mess with them, the worse they can get.
    Seperate the infected birds even though the virus is spread by misquitos.
    If the birds are pecking at each other, seperate them from each other too; because the dry form can lead to the wet form when the scabs are injested.
    Some vitamins in their water couldn't hurt.
    I hope this helps.
    My friend's flock is starting to get better now.

this site was very helpful: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/63/fowl-pox-pox-avian-pox

10. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

With all due respect....this guy is NOT your buddy. [​IMG] From now on remember that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by