Have you had this happen to you?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MVchickens, Jun 24, 2011.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Last year I fed all the bad quality tomatoes/squash from my garden to my chickens. whenever I cleaned out the coop I put everything in the compost pile. This spring I spread the compost over the garden and tilled it in. Now I have tomatoes and squash growing every were. Like every were. I hate to do it, but I have been having to pull them all out cause there weeds. has this ever happened to you?

2. Beauzeaux

Beauzeaux New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    Oh yes. Unless you have a "hot" compost pile that kills the seeds, you'll have lots of volunteers in the compost.

3. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Last year, my son's friend decided he was going to cut down the sunflower heads. Because he does not know what he is doing, nor is he big or strong enough, seeds went flying all over the garden. I now have about a million sunflowers growing, when I was not planning any.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Ha, I never thought of this.... next year will be interesting around here![​IMG]

5. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    MV, are you thinging the seeds passed through the birds undigested?
    I could beleive it for tomatoes.
    But surely a larger seed like squash would be ground up in the gizzard.
    Perhaps the birds tossed around rotten bits of veggies that got buried in your coop bedding and never entered the birds guts at all?

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Yep, I got that going on too. Last year I cut down some tomato plants and the the cuttings started to grow. I've got a tomato plant growing but the problem is they don't always produce flavorful tomatoes. Some times their crosses that taste like yuk poo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by