1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have you had to cull your flock and start over due to illness

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Wednesday

Wednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Oviedo, FL
    I adopted adult chickens and brought illness into my first flock because of my own ignorance. I tried treating with medications and weighed the pros and cons of treating 16 birds versus starting over. The state NPIP inspector was scheduled to test my flock yesterday to see exactly what we were dealing with. Two days ago, dogs killed 14 of my 16 birds. I have two chickens, one with Coryza that survived and another 6 month old pullet that has to be put down tomorrow so I can have a healthy flock. It was not an easy choice. How many of you have had to start over due to illness or tragedy?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Oh, that's hard! I have never had to cull my flock and start over due to illness, but I did get wiped out by coyotes one year. It's hard to start over, but hopefully you can start with a healthy flock this time. Take your time, find a breed or breeds you really want, and enjoy them when you get them.

3. Wednesday

Wednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Oviedo, FL
    Thank you. It has been pretty brutal so far. Dogs killed a bunch of my other chickens the very first day I let them free range three months ago. Between predators and health issues, it has been way more challenging and sad than expected. I am getting chicks from a breeder in Gainesville, Florida in October.black and blue copper Marans, Welsummers, Olive eggers, Ameraucanas, Delawares and maybe wynadottes. I hope to have better luck this time around. Thanks for you kind words Bobbi.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    I have had to start over 3 times so far. It is tough but now I am up to 25 happy healthy safe birds that are spoiled rotten. My first flock of 6 died 1 at a time never knew why. Second flock I got wiped out by a neighbor's dog. I was so mad and heart broken. I have a wide variety of ages. From 3 year olds I got when their owner passed away. To my 1 year olds I started with. My 6 month olds I got from tractor supply to my 2 week olds I just got from a breeder

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by