Have you heard of this sexing method??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by opihiman911, Nov 13, 2007.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    I was over on the Australian chicken board just doing some reading and came across this interesting post on sexing: http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7850&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I
    have been told that if you lay the chicks on their backs in the palm of your hand and look at their legs. Both legs pulled up = female. One leg up and one out = male.

this post has been active for over a month and alot of people have been trying it out with sucess. Well is it sucess or just 50/50 chance? or maybe one of those things that only work in Down Under and in the drain goes clockwise or counter clockwise??

Anyone else heard of this? I got a batch of eggs in the bator thought I would give it a try, band the suppose roos and see what happens. Anyone else out there care to give it a try and keep a running tab? Or does anyone out there have any sex-link chicks they would care to verify this on?

Cory

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Falls into the category of 'hold them upside down and see if they squirm' or using a needle on a string or any other many 'old wives tale' methods of determining gender...

I'd not put much trust in that... odds are 50/50 just guessing...

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, another old wives tale.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm with Arlee and silkie on this one....another myth.... [​IMG]..

the one about a string and it being rooster chick i think ....geesh

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Its a complete myth.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, it's baloney. Since you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right, seems a wild guess would do as well. You can certainly try it, if only to disprove it, but with the odds, I don't think you can prove or disprove, necessarily.

7. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    O.K. I tried it and have a question. What if they hold both legs out straight? Does this mean it's confused? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Quote:Thanks magikchick....you actually made me laugh out loud...I needed that. I can just picture a chicken like what are you doin to me???!?! [​IMG]

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    This way works 100% of the time for me:

1-Take the chick and place it on the end of your bed.
    2-Throw a dirty sock on the floor.
    3-If it does nothing it's a male - If it peeps then it's a hen

10. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    LOL Ok...thank you thank you thank you!
    Kristi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by