Have You Hugged Your Kiwi Today?

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Tame Emu Guy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Tame Emu Guy

Tame Emu Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you hugged your kiwi today?

Hey, guys. This is interesting. Got a great book at the Goodwill: Buller’s Birds of New Zealand, a large and truly lush quality coffee-table book. I wanted to get an illustration of a kiwi.

It’s cool! The notes say, ‘There are three sub-species of kiwi, brown (mantelli), south island (australis), amd stewart island (lawryi).’

There is also a lesser spotted and a greater spotted – apteryx haasti (So how many sub-speicies?)

It notes deaths of some kiwis on the roads at night -- hmm . . . nocturnal movement? Gotta read the whole article again.

The illustration is a weensey bit amazing. I wonder if I can get a scan of it?

Supreme Emu

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. Actually theres a LOT of debates on how many subspecies there are, but they have decided on 3 for sure. But a lot of people debate theres something like 6.

3. Tame Emu Guy

Hi, C.B.Lover,

I look forward to learning about this. During a recent conversation with an Australian academic (involved in a project about emus), he explained that some authorities have abandoned the notion of sub-species, and use 'taxa' ?????

Has any BYC person ever bred kiwis? Does anyone have any?

It's sorta, for me, a way of understanding emus better -- that's why I recommend the cassowary doco to emu lovers.

Supreme Emu

4. I don't know if you can legally own a kiwi

Barred Rock Kiwi!! [​IMG][​IMG] OK actually a Great Spotted or Rora Kiwi the largest breed, but funner to call them barred rock kiwis :p

5. Tame Emu Guy

Gee. C.B.L., that answer hadn't occurred to me; and it's funny, then, that a similar thought came to me this morning: there is a dwarf cassowary; but it's only native to New Guinea. Casuarius has explained the intransigence of national governments about exporting rare animals, etc., and I thought to myself that there's probably no international dwarf-cassowary breeding-programme because you can't legally own a dwarf cassowary.

I see no vestigial wing in the photo -- ????

and they are nocturnal!!

Great photo. Thank you.

Supreme Emu

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Awwww, I always wanted a Kiwi.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by