Have you or anyone in your family gotten salmonella from your chickens?

lmikulski

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 27, 2010
Ferndale, MI
My Coop
My Coop
I got a call from a reporter at the Detroit Free Press about the latest CDC press release saying Michigan is in the middle of a salmonella outbreak, and it got me thinking...

...how many of us have ACTUALLY ever gotten salmonella from our chickens? I'm pretty casual about shoe changes, and hand washing. Nothing gross, but not super fastidious either. I haven't gotten it from my chickens, but have gotten it from store bought eggs a long time ago.

So, let's hear it! Show of hands- have you gotten salmonella from your birds? Maybe your kids got sick? I'm really curious about our community, given that the CDC is painting a picture of chicken keepers as kissy weirdos who never wash their hands.

You got a call from a reporter wanting to do a story about your chicken keeping?
out of the blue?

You got a call from a reporter wanting to do a story about your chicken keeping?
out of the blue?
Yep. She had done a story on me before when I was trying to get chickens legalized in my city. She kept my contact info and when her editor said "We need to run a story about this salmonella outbreak from backyard chickens", she called me up.

Cool..thanks for the explanation.
I've never gotten it, nor do I know anyone who has.

Nope I'm a hand washer from Hades. We've had turtles are lizards as well as chickens so cleanliness is a given. I didn't even get it as a grubby little kid when we had chickens. I'm convinced as long as you don't go lick them you're safe.Then again I may just have the immune system of a landfill rat, who knows?

Back
Top Bottom