Have you seen a GI Joe Doll like this?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by quercus21, Dec 24, 2011.

1. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying this doll. Upon my step grandfathers death I received it. He was a Chaplin in WWII (Normandy - Germany). From my understanding, he had it with him during his service. Some people said it might have been used as a "ice" breaker with the children he encounter. I was just looking for a bit more history and proper storage for it. Right now it is in a clean/dry place. Also, has anyone else come across a doll like this?

The head, hands and boots are made from wood. Looks like hand carved and painted/stained(?). The uniform seems like it is made from wool, like the military issue cloth. The body seems to be cloth of some kind. On the back of him is a tag made from cloth that looks like it was typed on which states GI Joe and something in French. "un soldat americain votre ami et votre allie".
    I have found out that it translate to: "a soldier americain your friend and your ally"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Kaj

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have no information, but that is COOL!!!

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    looks handcarved

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I believe they were given out to the French by the Salvation Army or Red Cross after WWII I cannot remember which.

5. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    There are GI Joe collectors, some from the 60s go for big $$.

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Um, hey, Joe? You've got something, right there. I think you may have sat in something.

Odd tag placement aside, this guy is so neat looking.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:I agree
    It's probably one of a kind

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Ever see that show History Detectives on PBS? I think you should contact them about this doll if Googling doesn't help. I will look around and see if I can find anything.

ETA: I did find that the GI Joe action figure started in the 60s, but the term GI Joe started around the time of WWII.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  9. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Thank you everyone for your input. I wrote away to the Red Cross and Salvation Army to see what they have to say.
    In the past I have tried GI Joe collector sites with no results (some not replying and some having no idea). I recent wrote to a "Toy Hall of Fame", which I haven't received a response.
    Yea, I would say it is hand carved and hand painted.
    I'll try the PBS History Channel next. Write them a email and see what happens.

Have a Happy & Safe Holiday today

10. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    That is a great piece. I would contact Antiques Roadshow. It may have been made just for your step-grandfather by a friend. Even so, it is unique. Don't you just love the mystery of it, though?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by