Have you seen the price on poultry netting??

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
So I'm mostly done with my run, and was cruising the web for something to top it with. Didn't find any netting that kept me in the next-to-free zone I'm in so far.

BUT... how about a soccer goal net? My run isn't that big, just for 4 Bantams, it's 8x7. Regulation soccer nets are 8x24.. 10 ft depth. But the shape I could work with, to ensure head clearance for cleaning. New they're still $100.... but... end of season used if it has a hole somewhere? Worth a shot!

There's also a guy on ebay selling smaller sizes of netting, they make fishing nets in florida and I guess they're selling scrap pieces. One was 10x20 for $33.

Poultry netting, the shortest length I saw was 50ft. I'm thinking my small scale will need sporting goods instead!

The original plan was to build a frame to support chicken wire... but that's more stapling... and I'm out of scrap wood in reasonable lengths, used the last to build a presentable gate. Out of staples too now that I think about it...

The gate is pretty sweet though, considering the wood I'm using is coming out of the "to burn" pile.

Pictures in a week when the camera gets here! Will also throw in a total cost since by then it'll be done. So far I'm at $0.

(but I need staples, hinges, and a netting top)

It's only for daytime use, even if a coon can get into the run, he won't be able to get into the coop. I'm more worried about hawks and chicken escapes.

But yeah, I don't think it would deter a coon to much after it brazed the dogs. The door to the coop gets shut at night here, with coon-proof latches. Sneaky little critters!

My husband and I just finished a 24x24 run for our chickens. We needed a top to keep out hawks, and other animals plus we aren't ready for the guinea fowl to have free range yet so we need to keep them in. we painstakengly (sp?) stapled two inch mesh over the top to support beams placed every four feet. I'm glad we did it as there was a peregrine sitting on the top of it this morning checking out my flock. But I don't ever want to do it again
smile.png

Soccer nets will not keep prey birds out. The spaces are too large and they will just fly down and land and drop through the opening. They also dont hold in the sun for all that long. Our club has to replace goal nets just about every year (fall, winter spring playing season) because they just cant handle the abuse from the weather. (or kids pulling on them for that matter) we do have some that last a double seaon, or can be moved to a practice goal for a few months, but most are spent.

Quote:
I agree.

A raccoon could just as easily get through poultry netting for that matter. All they'd have to do is chew and that would be the end of it.
wink.png

The deer netting should work just fine. Here's a site that you can get some for fairly cheap. It's a lot less expensive than than poultry netting anyways!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom