Have you seen this disorder in peachicks before?

LostInAppalachia

Chirping
May 17, 2022
I hatched two peachicks two months ago. One seemed to have difficulty seeing and I thought it was because his brother pecked his eye. At 4 or 5 weeks his legs seemed a little splayed but he was moving around well and splay leg normally happens at birth to my understanding. He was still walking and even flying so I just kept a close eye. Within two days, he couldn’t walk and he was sitting like a ballerina. I took him to the vet and while the vet was stumped he said they little guy isn’t suffering trauma. I did notice that this little guy is always cold. His legs have been taped to keep him from sitting in a splay 24/7. He has poor control of his head causing his head to dart and sometimes making him fall forward when he tries to eat. He somehow managed to eat and drink. Last night he finished a 5 day course of meloxicam .05ml. Per the vets recommendation, I also have him on panacur .05ml, corid .05ml, and all my peacocks on aureomycin medicated crumbles. He hasn’t made any improvement and I’m thinking of putting him down today, but I thought I would ask here as a last ditch effort. The brother that he has been growing up with is showing no signs of illness and is bigger than he is.

Attachments

• 1D2D9BBE-5978-4400-A0FA-128D61254DF2.jpeg
    1D2D9BBE-5978-4400-A0FA-128D61254DF2.jpeg
    714.5 KB · Views: 34
Splaying or blowing hocks can happen well after hatching. At hatch, it can be either a problem getting out of the egg or just a slick surface in the hatcher itself. Bubblebutt can also cause splaying even on a good non-slip surface until the egg stores are absorbed. Later in the brooder, especially on wire flooring they can get caught in the the wire and pull ligaments making them splay. In short, it can be caused by anything from genetics to poor choice of flooring. It is probably too late to fix at this point and I would opt to put it down.

I read of disorders/handicaps in peachicks often. My theory/guess is that too many people have allowed inbreeding when they have a limited amount of birds. The price of these birds and hatching eggs/chicks probably has increased the occurrence of inbreeding. A perfectly healthy looking bird can pass on disastrous traits to their offspring. And if both parents carry the genetic trait, the possibility of problems increases dramatically.

Considering all the issues this chick has, I think you are right to euthanize.

Splaying or blowing hocks can happen well after hatching. At hatch, it can be either a problem getting out of the egg or just a slick surface in the hatcher itself. Bubblebutt can also cause splaying even on a good non-slip surface until the egg stores are absorbed. Later in the brooder, especially on wire flooring they can get caught in the the wire and pull ligaments making them splay. In short, it can be caused by anything from genetics to poor choice of flooring. It is probably too late to fix at this point and I would opt to put it down.
Would that involve eyesight and head movements? The one who actually had difficulty getting out of his egg and curled toes is doing fine after treatment. This guy in the picture scissored out in 20 minutes and was walking shortly thereafter. Now, his head darts when he tries to eat. He can’t seem to see waxworms right in front of him. He can’t stand. His wings are strong, but…

Would that involve eyesight and head movements? The one who actually had difficulty getting out of his egg and curled toes is doing fine after treatment. This guy in the picture scissored out in 20 minutes and was walking shortly thereafter. Now, his head darts when he tries to eat. He can’t seem to see waxworms right in front of him. He can’t stand. His wings are strong, but…
Sounds like a lot of neurological problems that doomed it from the start.

I read of disorders/handicaps in peachicks often. My theory/guess is that too many people have allowed inbreeding when they have a limited amount of birds. The price of these birds and hatching eggs/chicks probably has increased the occurrence of inbreeding. A perfectly healthy looking bird can pass on disastrous traits to their offspring. And if both parents carry the genetic trait, the possibility of problems increases dramatically.

Considering all the issues this chick has, I think you are right to euthanize.
That must be the case. I purchased these birds from someone else 3 years ago and I should have asked him more about genetics at that time. I have recently moved from a city, so I’m getting a crash course in husbandry. Thanks for the affirmation. Thankfully I bought a new peahen and am looking to sell my healthy chicks.

Back
Top Bottom