Have you used drake jail?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PirateGirl, Jun 20, 2018.

1. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist Premium Member

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I have 2 female ducklings.

I have 3 famale adult ducks and 1 adult drake.

The ducklings are almost as big as the adult females, but are a slightly smaller breed and will never be quite the same size.

Currently the ducklings are housed next to the duck run. Everyone can see and hear each other. I want to move them in with the adult ducks but I am concerned about the drake. He is somewhat obsessed with the ducklings and still shows aggression towards them. I am debating pulling out the drake and housing all the females together and letting them integrate with each other and then adding the drake back in later. I thought this might be a better use of space and start the 2 groups mingling. Will separating the drake and then adding him back later just create more/different problems with flock dynamics? Is it better to keep the old birds and young birds separate longer or better to separate the drake from the females? I was thinking/hoping once fall rolls around and hormones aren't so high they could all live together. Thoughts? How would you or have you divided up your flock? Does drake jail make things better or worse?

Kessel23 likes this.
  2. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    I have mine in jail. My ducklings are full grown but they aren’t exhibiting any mating behaviors so I keep them from him. Otherwise he chases them and pulls out feathers and tries to mate them 24/7.

3. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    Once mine start laying down in front of each other and putting their necks flat, I will know they are ready and add everyone together.

Your drake should be ok with everyone once they are adults.

Kessel23 and Julie Birb like this.
  4. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Court Rooster Premium Member

N O

Kessel23 likes this.
  5. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017

Yes. My drake will even charge the fence and try and pluck feathers through the fence. So you have integrated the ducklings with the rest of the flock and just have the drake separate? Are you worried about reintroducing the drake later?

I had all the girls together for a few hours today and there was some unrest and a little feather pulling, but nothing that made me fear for their safety. I was actually surprised which female decided she was the boss. I feel like all the girls could probably start living together soon.

Kessel23 and CayugaJana like this.
  6. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere! Premium Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    If you think "Drake Jail" is a bad idea, maybe you can you flesh out why this is a bad idea. A two letter answer is hardly helpful.

7. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017

I will watch for this behavior. Thank you! The ducklings are close to 8 weeks I think and fairly large and fully feathered and definitely female, but as you said about yours, definitely not ready for mating.

Kessel23 and CayugaJana like this.
  8. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    I have 2 drakes, no other ducks and they're both in jail (seperated) right now because they fight. They just stare at each other most of the day unless it's supervised play time.

9. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Court Rooster Premium Member

Sorry, I didn't read the posts, I was answering the title question :p

Kessel23, tjo804 and Table4Six like this.
  10. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    When you put them back together are they better, worse, or the same as before?

Kessel23 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: