Have your chickens begun their seasonal molt alreay?

emys

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Idaho
So, I was on another post and mentioned that one of my hens is already started her seasonal molt and a couple of people said their flocks were also in molt already and that it was pretty early.

1) Is your flock in molt or at least one of your birds?

2) Anyone recall if this is starting earlier than last year for your flock? (I don't exactly recall when mine started last year - but I think it wasn't until Sept.)

It might be fun to chart when the birds molt against something like average low temps or first frost dates and look for correlations.

Just for fun.

Last edited:
That sounds interesting. I can't tell if my older flock is or not as they are feather pickers, and also have been playing at being broody, so they've been pulling some breast feathers. I'm going to watch this thread to see what everyone else says, though.
pop.gif

2 of my four are molting right now and it is earlier then last year. Funny that it is both of my EE birds.The back yard has feathers everywhere.

One of my birds has been in moult since June - she is really bad with it. Her neck is still completely bald and the top of her head were she had feathers last year is now red like the crown and so I don;t think feathers will grow there again. She has only started to regrow her feathers on her back now and she is still very weak. She stands sleeping in the yard. I put vitamins in the water and that helped her. When I have treats she comes runny like a mad thing so she can't be that bad? She has only just started laying again. It has been really awful for her this year. The other hens just lost a few tail feathers and a bit on their belly but nothing you would notice and they are back laying again now not as good as was but getting there. So mine I guess are very early but I am glad as the weather here will be getting very cold soon. I wonder if Drumsticks neck feathers will ever come back??????? Oh well Dh says it will save him plucking?
ep.gif
Poor girl ! I was told they went into mault the time of year they hatched? Is that true?

Oesdog -
smile.png

Last edited:
I was told they went into molt the time of year they hatched? Is that true?

Well, I think there may be something to that the first time they molt, but not so convinced it happens that way with subsequent molts. The main stimulus for molting is day length in mature birds. But, that can't be the whole story in my opinion because if that were the only factor, all the birds would molt at the same time, and they don't. So maybe age of the bird and genetics also play into it and who knows what else.​

Thanks for that - does anyone know how I can help this terrible prolonged Molt poor Drumstick is enduring?????
I wonder sometimes if she will ever have feathers again?????? This I think is her first molt as she didn't stop laying last year at all when the others molted? Is this why it is so bad she is a RIR/ PR

Oesdog -
hmm.png

Last edited:
Nobody molting here yet. I'm expecting my 18 month old hens to start molting. Last year, one of them (at 9 months old) molted in December. Crazy girl!

I've never had a hen seriously molt in 7 years. The worse has been a missing tail for a couple weeks. Never had bald patches. But this year I'm starting to see a lot more feathers on the ground. Starting about a week ago.
Here in Seattle we have not had a summer, just a few (maybe 3) hot days. And last winter almost no (maybe 5) cold days.
So maybe it's the long grey days?

Imp

oesdog,
It takes a lot of nutrition to grow feathers especially protein. Increasing it may help.

Back
Top Bottom