Have your chickens ever...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenboy, Mar 14, 2007.

1. chickenboy

chickenboy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Woolwich,ME
    Have your chickens ever eaten styrofoam because one day we took some styrofoam out of the house and put it on the deck. Then my chickens started eating it like madmen. I guess chickens like styrofoam. [​IMG]

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Chickens will eat or peck at anything that looks odd, interesting, or different as a rule. [​IMG] They'll peck at cardboard, wood, plastic....pretty much anything! Try to get your chickens on a styrofoam-free diet as I'm sure its loaded with carbs! lol [​IMG]

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Yes, I have heard of a decent size flock devouring a styrofoam cooler in no time. They do like the stuff. I've never heard of it hurting them, though.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

In our coop, we started with styrofoam insulation.....it was warm when we started putting it up, and didnt get it all covered before we quit for the day. Next morning, I went out there, and most of what we didnt cover, was gone!! They ate it....didnt seem to hurt them, just has no nutritional factor, and they fill up on it, and dont gain weight, or lay. I was fast at finishing that job, for sure!

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    One day, to my horror, I found two of my hens in my husband's storage shed snacking away on some of that rigid pink board insulation. They had eaten an enormoous amount of it. All my vet could say was that they would either be fine, or not! Happily, they never showed any adverse effects from it. I followed them around for two days looking at their poop, but I never saw any change. I don't know where all that stuff went, or how the chickens survived, but they did!

6. LICHICK

LICHICK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2007
    New York
    My girls also ate the foam insulation before I got to finish putting up the walls, they also make mad dashes for the foam pnuts that I add in the flower pot soil & dump at the end of season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by