Have your chickens started to squat yet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlickin8, Sep 11, 2012.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Mine squat every time they see me now...so funny! If you haven't seen what "The Squat" looks like, here's what you'll see. Usually, eggs will soon follow......fingers crossed [​IMG] Mine started laying about 2 weeks after they started squatting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps [​IMG]

2. larca83

larca83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Elbert County, Colorado
    I'm looking for the squat but haven't seen it yet. Can't wait. My ladies are 18 weeks old tomorrow. Thanks for the photo!

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    BTW great looking bird...

The only time mine squat are when im about to pick them up (which isnt too often)

4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Yes! My 23 week old Welsummer has squatted twice now. I am anxiously awaiting her to start laying because my other girls are hens going through their first molt, and they have really slowed down. Today, we got 1 egg from 7 hens. We have 4 Welsummers who will be 24 weeks on Saturday, so I am hoping they will fill in the gaps.

5. Chickadee95

Chickadee95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks for sharing those pics, I was a little unsure of what squatting was supposed to look like! My 4 are 20 weeks this week, I'm getting excited :DD
    No squatting so far...

6. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Hang in there...they should start squatting anytime..... [​IMG] Keep us posted

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    They don't all squat. Even when I didn't have a rooster, I only had a few girls out of a dozen hens that squatted. After I added the rooster, they stopped squatting for me, though presumably they now do it for him instead.

8. Chickadee95

Chickadee95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Hmm I didn't know that! I hope they do though, then i'll hopefully know a little better when theyll lay! Im just hoping they don't lay this week because they're at the fair all week (4H) and I'll miss their first eggs! Sigh....

9. Izzymoon

Izzymoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    mine are squatting, oddly the one chicken that I could never touch was the first to do it, and now she follows me everywhere, comes when she's called...it's kinda funny

10. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I had one like that. I couldn't catch her at all...til she squatted. Now, I can pick her right up....LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by