Have your hens ever crowed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by guinea fowl galore, Nov 16, 2009.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    This morning i woke up to our hen crowing outside my bedroom window, we're 99.99% sure it is a hen.
    so have you had any experiences like this?, and do you know why it would be doing it?

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Yep!

Rosie the rosecomb bantam would fly to the top of our house and crow! She lays an egg every other day. She went broody and raised 2 chicks.

She is a very vocal bird, something like a little chicken-mynah bird. I wonder if other "talkative" chickens tend to crow, too?

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    My lacy crows. When she is not laying and wants the roosters to leave her alone she starts crowing again. It seems to confuse the Boys enough that they just leave her alone.

Lacy is almost 4 years old, has laid many eggs, and raised 2 batches of chicks.
    Lacy - May 10, 2007

Matt

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I'm lucky, my top hen crows silently. She throws her head into it, but nothing comes out. She always tried to keep up with the boys when they were first finding their voices (but they had to go). Its more likely to have a crowing hen if there is no rooster.

5. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Matt A NC lacy is beautiful, you must be proud to have such a gorgeous hen.
    we have not named our chicken but we just call her chooken.
    she was here when we bought our place and roosts up in a tree every night, i do really feel sorry for her because she is so lonely and she is always trying to be freinds with the guinea fowl only to be attacked and chased away. but hopefully she will get some freinds this christmas holiday, if we get the coop finished in time.

6. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I got my salmon faverolle hen when she was around 2 years old. She had always been with roosters. We got her home, and the next morning she was crowing! It was because she was used to always having roos around, and all of a sudden they weren't there anymore. Top hens will sometimes take over the role of rooster if something happens to the roo.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    As far as I know I don't have any crowing hens, but Mojo Chick'n has one that does [​IMG] It's not totally uncommon, but in this area it's thought of as bad luck.

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    We have one 4.5yr. old that probably lost the use of her good ovary someplace along the line (started crowing at about a year of age) and the testosterone started to rule. She only crows in the morning and always follows the roo by one or two counts (like listening to a garbled echo - though she has improved over the years). Wattles and comb are rooish, the spurs are well formed. Her other vocalizations include a wide variety of whines (nothing like the roo or other hens).

Big Red:
    [​IMG]

Bet your `hen' would probably appreciate some sociable company.

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Your poor gender confused bird. The poor things don't have much for brains as it is, then she is cursed with that. How unfair!

10. critterlover

critterlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    I'm so happy I found this post! I have a BA that I swear crows a little. Not full force like a roo would, but not the usual chatter of my other girls. The funny part is she is one of my biggest girls, but her comb and wattle are barely the size of my other girls that are smaller than she is. Maybe she is compensating for the difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by