Have your hens ever done this before? (pics)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by M To The Maxx, Nov 25, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    We are letting the chickens free range today. I am keeping the back door of the coop opened up so the can jump in and go lay in the nestboxes. I let the door open I came back 20 minutes later and there are 5 hens inside. Only 1 hen in a 1 nestbox. Star our GSL is laying right now. The funny thing about this is the other hens are waiting in line for that nestbox after she is done even though there are 2 other nestboxes they can lay in! [​IMG] I have some pics of the waiting in line. [​IMG] Btw the reason the look so crappy is because they are wet from the rain. We are getting poured on here today! The hens that re waiting in line are Doodle the EE, Midnight the Black Ameraucana, Buffy the Buff Orpington, and Dixie the unknown breed and of course Star is in the eggbox.

[​IMG]
    Here is Star in the nestbox.

[​IMG]
    Here are the girls waiting in line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have your chickens ever done this before?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I've heard of them doing this but what a great pic!

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG]

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    everyday-and they scream at eachother to move!! 18 laying and they love 1 particular box! They will lay elsewhere bt they dont like to~

5. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Yep, I have 4 that line up now and wait for the upper box. Not always all of them at the same time (Averaging 2 eggs a day) but yesterday they were so loud trying to get each other to hurry up I could hear them inside the house over 100 feet away. I only have 3 nest boxes to choose from [​IMG]

6. DebbieLynn

DebbieLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Yep, same here and boy do they get loud! It's raining here too and all my girls are really messy right now. I've threatened the leghorns with a bath [​IMG] if they aren't going to be the ladies I know they are and try to stay a little cleaner! I love it when the girls line up like that, really cute pics Maxx! [​IMG]

7. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Mine wait in line and scream all the time for the lower nestbox, finally they get impatient and move to an upper one, though not directly above their Favorite.

They are very difficult to figure out sometimes.

8. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    That's hecklarious! Today I had a first along that line 5 eggs in one nest. The fifth one was perched up in the center of the other four like a pyramid. I was on my hands and knees and listened before I turned to look to see if one of the girls was standing in the doorway grinning. [​IMG]

9. swdunn0926

swdunn0926 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Fayetteville
    Yes my girls do it all the time!! They sit on the roosting poles in line and sing while the lady on the nest is doing her thing! BTW I have a buff Orp named Buffy too, except we call her Buffy the Cricket slayer!!!

10. Fuzzy_Hat_Farm

Fuzzy_Hat_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Maryland
    Your girls are much more patient than mine. My girls won't wait in line - they get pushy!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by