Have your hens ever squatted for you?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McGoo, Aug 2, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

In the past couple of days 2 different hens have squatted for me. Wonder why?

I was thinking that there hasn't been a rooster in a few months and now there's a young cockrel starting to sow his wild oats with some of the 'lower on the pecking order' chickens. Both of these gals are high up on the pecking order.

Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. willowtreecreek

willowtreecreek Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Arkansas
    if you haven't had eggs from them yet they will start laying soon. I wish mine would do this. I have two at 27 weeks and no eggs yet.

3. camille

camille Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    Is it because you walked up to them to touch them?
    The semi tame ones, if you walk up to them to touch them, they will crouch down and raise their wings in a submissive gesture. It's sweet.

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    that is what they do if they want u to pet them or pick them up i have alot of girls that do it and a few roos also.

they come to the door to greet me then they take turns doing a huddle like that. i take em out and play with them, carry them around and sing to them while we feed ect. then they go back in and another one wants loveins. it's awesome, it's their way of telling us what they want,lol just like a little kid would. that's how u know who is the spoiled ones![​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    The hens show their submissiveness to the rooster by crouching when he comes near them so he can then 'do his thing'. They are seeing you as their rooster - the head of the flock. It's a totally submissive gesture letting you know that you are the dominant roo of the flock.

6. clemson11

clemson11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    UT
    My hens don't squat, they just run like forrest gump,[​IMG] I wish they would squat. Then mabey I would get an egg.

7. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Yea my hens used to that i don't know why though.
    They do it when the dog plays w/ them too. I think they get scared or something.

8. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    when they squat it means theyll lay soon mine was squatting for acouple of weeks til she finally gave me our first egg today yeah [​IMG]

9. LunaBaby

LunaBaby Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    My hens are 1 day short of 15 weeks and one laid their first egg. I had a suspect and asked her if she was the one and she squatted for me. I took it as a yes. lol

10. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    mine follow me as a sign of my leadership (or a sign of wanting food). they haven't squatted yet, except when they stand in front of me, look at me and squeeze a poo for me. another gesture of what they think of my leadership and feeding skills.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by