Having a blast with chickens... Who knew ? Lol

Magicque

Songster
5 Years
Jun 17, 2017
Newport wa.
Hi I'm new to chickens been studying this web site a lot ! Lol have built a coop in a horse stall and I ended up with 6 teenager hens... Was SUSPOSED to be all bantum s but 2 are amaraconas . Some friends broke up... I got there chickens ! Ha ha so... I've had several laying for about a month now... ! And just got given 2 silly roosters that I think are teens also !? Lol I got a black and a white one... The black one is Ringo... :) And the white one is called Yetty ! As he looks like the big foot on bugs bunny ! So...
First stupid question...
How dose the rooster insimanate a hen/egg?
And 2nd stupid question ?
Can they breed the Amaraconas ? And outher bantums that are not... Silky ?

Welcome to BYC!
Roosters will run over to a hen, she crouches, and he gets on her back. She will move her tail to one side and he will touch his cloaca to hers-thus passing the sperm. This is not a detailed discription of mating, but pretty much the basics.
Roosters can mate with different breeds of chickens.
Those aren't stupid questions! Everyone has to start somewhere.

Welcome to BYC!
Roosters will run over to a hen, she crouches, and he gets on her back. She will move her tail to one side and he will touch his cloaca to hers-thus passing the sperm. This is not a detailed discription of mating, but pretty much the basics.
Roosters can mate with different breeds of chickens.
Those aren't stupid questions! Everyone has to start somewhere.
Thank you so much ! Now... I've had the new roos in a sepret chicken house but inside the same place for a cu0ole days now... Do you think I should let them in with the hens now ? And I free range the hens... Do you think the boys will come in at night like the hens ?

Thank you so much ! Now... I've had the new roos in a sepret chicken house but inside the same place for a cu0ole days now... Do you think I should let them in with the hens now ? And I free range the hens... Do you think the boys will come in at night like the hens ?
Yes, they will probably follow the hens but if they don't you may have to put them in by hand every night until they learn. How many roosters do you have? You should have ten to twelve hens per rooster.

I have 6 hens... Atm :) hoping for more :) and 2 teen age silky roos I just got ... I live in the country.. so... Um.. servival rate...

The boys will follow the girls around like puppy dogs, most likely. But beware, the older girls may attack them -- just to put them in their place. But for the first few days, keep a watch on them to make sure the silkie boys don't get hurt. (they aren't the brightest crayon in the box, if ya know what I mean... lol)

Post some pics of them, if you get a chance!

Back
Top Bottom