Having a chicken for dinner.....Any Recipes?

Farmin Momma

Songster
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
Mill Creek, Wa
Ok, I plan on butchering a chicken today for dinner tonight!

But I need a recipe for the slow cooker/pot.

Also, what parts of the bird do I use for the stock and what not to use?

Any help would be great this is going to be a learning experience for my husband, myself and our kids!

Thanks Sarah

P.S. Side note, I don't have meat chickens, this will either be a Road Island Red or an Americana(sp?)

WELCOME TO BYC!!!!! There is a forum on here for recipes. I usually let the birds rest a day or two before eating. The slow cooker will somewhat stringy depending on age. As for stock I boil the chicken down and save the stock from that in the freezer do I always have some. If you have never eaten a laying type of bird, don't expect it to be like the store bought. They are not the same. So peeped though like the taste, me I like Marans flavor and others not so much. I don't like the toughness and stringy thing. Chicken and dumplings is what a lot of folks make with them. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Michele

How old is your chicken? Is it a hen or a rooster?

You need to let the meat rest in the fridge for at least a couple days or it's going to end up inedible. Longer if it's an older bird.

I throw in the skinned chicken feet when making stock. They are awesome for that.

How old is your chicken? Is it a hen or a rooster?

You need to let the meat rest in the fridge for at least a couple days or it's going to end up inedible. Longer if it's an older bird.

I throw in the skinned chicken feet when making stock. They are awesome for that.

he.gif
Crap! Why do you chill the bird first?

Did I just waist this food? I brought her in and put her in my slow cooker on low with her neck, heart, crop, kiddneys and a bunch of fat next to her and all spiced up!

Won't make you sick. But if a chicken is not rested, it can be stringy. Slow cook it eat it, just know that flavor/texture may improve with rest.

I recently tried to cook some of my EE roosters I had butchered. I decided to brine a whole bird first overnight in a salt, water and spices concoction. I baked it in the oven and that bird came out really well. I've since then tried cooking just the breast in the crockpot without brining and wasn't as happy with the results. I like the Allrecipes website for brine ideas.

I brined both turkeys this past year for Thanksgiving and got so many compliments on how moist my birds were. I suppose I'll have tomake them that way every year from now on.

I recently tried to cook some of my EE roosters I had butchered. I decided to brine a whole bird first overnight in a salt, water and spices concoction. I baked it in the oven and that bird came out really well. I've since then tried cooking just the breast in the crockpot without brining and wasn't as happy with the results. I like the Allrecipes website for brine ideas.

I brined both turkeys this past year for Thanksgiving and got so many compliments on how moist my birds were. I suppose I'll have tomake them that way every year from now on.
What kind of salt do you use to do this? Also how do you put it together to sit over night? In a zip lock bag, just in a bowl? I would love to try this.

Back
Top Bottom