Having a clutch change "status"??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jessie and Kade, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Jessie and Kade

Jessie and Kade Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Hi all can anyone tell me if having a "rent a stud" come in and breed 1 of my girls is a good idea and would having a clutch change her "status"? Should I worry about my Top RIR Hen picking on the babies or momma? My 2 girls get along pretty well now but Jessie (RIR) is still head hen and she "reminds" Kadee still sometimes!! Thanks for any and all input Love this site :D

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Bringing in a roo is a bad idea, in my opinion. You run the risk of introducing diseases/pests etc.

It could change her status in the pecking order as she'll be out of the picture for a few weeks.

Some hens may pick on/kill new babies or bother the mom on the nest.

Pecking order is a dynamic in every flock. Unless things are getting bloody, I'd just let it be. I think that we sometimes see the things they do to eachother and overreact. :)

3. Jessie and Kade

Nov 11, 2012
    Thanks for the reply so probably best to get a New pullet instead of getting a rent a stud? We aren't allowed to own Roos in my city but back hard hens are allowed! I was going to borrow a friends roo so I knew where he was coming from as I cannot have one of my own. I thought about getting a chick and raising it inside for a few days then slow intro to my girls in the spring is that a better idea?? Is it ok to just get 1 chick?

4. Jessie and Kade

Nov 11, 2012
    Oh and my girls never drew blood my pullet was Very nervous around my RIR and would practically Climb me when I went into the coop to clean or feed just to get away from her lol! I have a feeling my RIR would kill my BCM's chicks if I did breed her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by