Having a cold winter where you live?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by The Chicken Lady, Jan 9, 2009.

1. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Here's an interesting tidbit from the local meteorologist near where I live:

A cooperative observer in Chicken, Alaska reported a temperature of 68° below zero Thursday morning. That’s 100 DEGREES BELOW THE FREEZING MARK!! The high temperature was -58°. Chicken has been below zero continuously since Dec. 7. Side note: When they incorporated the town and needed a name, they wanted to call the town “Ptarmigan”, after a local bird. However, they couldn’t agree on the correct spelling of ptarmigan, so they decided to call the town “Chicken”. This is the coldest temperature so far this winter in Alaska. Fairbanks has been -45° or colder each of the last five mornings. Over the last two weeks, Fairbanks has averaged 28.2° colder than normal! Last Saturday, Dawson, Yukon had a high temperature of -51°. That was 45° colder than average!

How is winter going where you live? Do you have more or less snow than usual, or different temperatures other than normal?​

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    It's been cold and snowy and icy. Luckily not that cold! Burr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The weather here has been all over the map. Cold and snowing, warm and raining, now it's cool and blowing. 55 degrees today, was supposed to be 68... And now the wind is blowing.

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Wow, and I thought it was cold here!

5. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Last Saturday it was about 81... last Sunday it was 25! And we haven't had rain in months. I feel like we're under judgement!

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Heavy snow so far and colder than normal.

7. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    The coldest I've seen at night here in northeast MI so far has been -10.6 (aren't those digital thermometers wonderful?!) [​IMG]

We've had a lot of nights below zero but I've seen colder up here. Winter ain't over yet though!!

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We've had one nice snow flurry back in December but since October, it can't decide whether it is spring or winter. [​IMG]

On kind of an upside, we've gotten alot of rain that is much needed here but it's getting to the point of it being to much of a "good" thing. [​IMG]

Dawn

9. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Yep, the -30 (with windchill) we felt in Denver while there on a weekend doesn't beat that. However.. it does give me a greater appreciation for the days like today when 42 feels nice!

10. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Today was the first day in the last 2 weeks we got above -10 (not even going to include the windchill). Today we got up to -8. Right now were back down to -20.

ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by