Having a Dilemma (Intergrating a new bird into the flock)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BantyChickenLuv, Oct 14, 2012.

1. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I'm having some problems intergrating a new bird into my flock, a Serama to be exact. I got her from a show, and she is very tiny (3 months old) and still tweets. My Bantams (1 Cochin Frizzle, 1 BPR, and 1 Partridge Wyandotte) are in the coop I'm planning on putting her in. I never have any problem with the BPR as she as at the bottom of the pecking order, but my Wyandotte (2nd in pecking order) and Cochin (1st) keep picking on her. Mainly the Cochin, who is usaully super sweet to new birds, is being super mean to the little thing. I tried putting her in at night, but she tweets as loud as she can, and then the Cochin finds her and starts pecking her head. I'm mainly worried about putting her in at night and finding her beaten to death the next morning. I also have a noise ordinace where I live, and I'm worried that they'll hear her chirping and file a complaint. Right now, she's in the garage in a very large cage with food, water, and plenty of shavings. I don't have another coop to put her in or any other birds to put her with and I'm worried about her getting stressed out from being alone. I really don't know what to do. [​IMG]

2. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Forgot to add, the person who gave her to me said she was around larger, older birds, as she was hatched the old fashioned way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by